Thread: Don't show this message again

lordcobol Guest

Default Don't show this message again

I'm setting up a new PC with three users, and ZASS. Every time I close the main ZASS console while logged on as the eventual main user, I get a dialog box like:

ZoneAlarm Security Suite Tips

To shut down ZoneAlarm Security Suite, right click on the ZoneAlarm Security Suite tray icon and select the "Shutdown ZoneAlarm Security Suite" command.

Below is a check box with "Don't show this message again".

No matter how many times I tell it not to show that message, it always comes back. Rebooting doesn't help. Can't find anything likely in the help or registry. And I'm NOT trying to shut down the protection, just exit the console.

The logon user I installed ZASS with does not get the message.

It seems like a bug involving how ZASS keeps track of what messages it has sent to who, but is there a workaround ?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Don't show this message again

Are you using fast user switching, or are you logging off one profile and logging on another?
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

lordcobol Guest

Only way I change logon is by rebooting. Fast user-switching is disabled anyway.

The PC currently is set to auto-logon, as the problem user. The problem occurs over and over when I open & close the console whether I reboot or not, all as the same user. I only know it doesn't happen with the original user because I deliberately logged on that way to check (turn off auto-logon, reboot, test, turn auto-logon back on, etc).

Meanwhile, I have been in contact with official tech support. They proposed the same fix I have seen in these forums for other problems -- boot in safe mode, and delete RDB, LDB & TMP files in the internet logs folder. It didn't help, and they haven't offered another suggestion.

DO you have anything running that watches the registry or for temp files or anything like that?
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

lordcobol Guest

Nope, no other registry-monitoring software running. To be more precise, I there is a separate anti-spyware package installed on the machine, but that feature is turned off.

Meanwhile, tech support has advised me to update to the 7.0 version. However, I know from another machine that Windows Security Center will complain about that, either saying there is no antivirus, or saying it is out of date. Since the problem machine is for an end-user, I don't want to mess with it. So this whole thing is going on hold until Windows recognizes 7.0, and 7.0 has been out long enough to have more of a track record.

si_erk Guest

Did this ever get resolved?
    I have exactly the same problem.
    I am running the following versions:
    ZoneAlarm version:7.0.337.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.337.000
    Driver version:7.0.337.000
    This problem is only evident on one user profile.
    If I create a new profile it doesn't have this problem.
    If I then copy the original user profile onto the new one they both end up with the problem.
    Cheers
    Simon

lordcobol Guest

No, still going on, on just one of our machines with ZASS. I still don't know of any differences in Windows settings or other software that could explain it.

I posted before that official support had suggested that I update to then-new version 7.0, and I didn't want to because Windows security center didn't recognize that version. I have since updated to 7.0 and later to 7.3, and it did NOT help.

txtak Guest

I had the same problem and managed to fix it. My situation was a little different, but basically it comes down to permissions on certain registry keys. Probably what is going on is that your original profile has exclusive read and write rights on some keys relating to turning the message on and off, and your second profile needs to have access to these keys. I recommend that in your second profile, search for "Zone Labs" in the registry, and probably under hkey_current_user there will be some keys you won't be able to access. Then log into your first profile, locate the same keys, and change the permissions so that your second profile can access them.

Good luck.

Thread Information