Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows halts on shutdown tring to shutdown zonealarm

krishan Guest

Default windows halts on shutdown tring to shutdown zonealarm

When ever I restart or shutdown my XP SP2 media edition PC, it gets stuck for a few seonds displaces a shuting down window for zonealarm pro and then carries on to full shutdown.Windows can instantly shutdown all programs like kaspersky, spyware doctor but always gets stuck will zonealarm, why? what is the solution, please
    i am new here
    krishan

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: windows halts on shutdown tring to shutdown zonealarm

Welcome to the forum. I am not entirely sure why. I have Windows XP Pro with all the updates, My Mothers computer has Windows media center will all the updates, and basically it is the Pro version with a few extra's. I don't have the problem but once in a blue moon, she has it more often. All I can come up with, is there is a service shutting down, that hangs, and prevents ZA from shutting down. Shutdown is like startup. If something hangs, everything behind it hangs.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

krishan Guest

Hithanks for the welcome.
    Mine is also with all the windows updates. I was thinking on the lines of ticking the correct windows system driver of whatever that does the shuting down of appliactions, ie., wisock32.dll, maybe, but i rried that anyway in the program control, components section, there must be something there that can be ticked to give windows permission to shut zonealarm off, maybe!!
    regards
    krishan

ZA 6.5.737.000 does have a weird shutdown error on normal Windows XP, requiring the user to force XP to kill the ZA processes.Not sure if this is related to the error on MCE.

cska Guest

<blockquote><hr>Jeruselem wrote:
    ZA 6.5.737.000 does have a weird shutdown error on normal Windows XP, requiring the user to force XP to kill the ZA processes.
    <hr></blockquote>exactly that is what I get for a few seconds shuting down my XP Pro.Is that a bug? Can that be fixed?

learnwithgern Guest

I had an even more severe case of this problem until I came upon a somewhat inexplicable (and easy) solution.
    My system (WinXP Pro) was hanging for nearly five minutes on shutdown. After several trial and errors with the disabling of various startup programs and services, I discovered that it was, in fact, ZoneAlarm (ver. 6.5.737.000) that was causing the hang.
    My solution? (&quot;Girls, you better hold onto your boyfriends.&quot 1.
    First, I manually closed
    ZoneAlarm, restarted the machine, and the computer rebooted
    normally (about 10 secs. at the &quot;Windows is Shutting Down&quot; screen). 2. Then, at the next Windows session, I left ZA on (i.e. I did NOT close it
    manually) and
    did a
    restart. The system again rebooted normally...that time and every time after.

Hang time: from 5 min. down to 10 sec.
    Is it possible that ZA (or Windows?) needs a &quot;push&quot; the first time around (i.e. after the upgrade to ver. 6.5.737) and then, every time after, can close on its own?

krishan Guest

I think I have tried this, however, let me try it again and see!!, lets hope.
    krishan

krishan Guest

I have tried it now. It is better but not completely ok. Now windows still pops up a shuting down zonealarm window but there is no clour zonealarm logo and it does not hang for as long as it did under windows in shutting down.
    There must be a windows software tool that gains access normally to all running processes and shts them down, except zonealarm pro! so this really is a matter for zonelabs to give a solution, but i note there is no way of contacting zonelabs directly unless you want to pay for it!!!, good support standard zonelabs!!
    regards
    krishan

cska Guest

what did you try?

krishan Guest

I tried manually shutdown zonealarm and then shutting down PC. Next time you turn on PC and shut PC down, it does not hang in &quot;windows is shutting down&quot;, however, there still is a pop up window that windows is going to shutdown zonealarm which delays the complete normal windows shutdown process.
    i,e., it is better but still windows does not have ability to shut down zonealarm like any other software appliaction. This is really a matter for zonealarm who hopefully read this forum and can give answers, else THIS willbe the last time I use zonealarm.
    krishan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information