Thread: I get this message in ZA: Execute a dll file as an application, is it legit?

evangelion Guest

Default I get this message in ZA: Execute a dll file as an application, is it legit?

Hello,

I get these messages when I
    m using windows explorer, and I
    m not connected to internet,

Execute a dll file as an application is attempting to monitor user activities on this computer. If allowed it may try to track or log keystrokes (user input) mouse movements/clicks, web sites visited, and other user behaviors

Execute a dll file as an application is trying to launch zonealrm\zaunist.exe, or use another program to gain access to privileged resources

are they legit or dangerous, how can I find out?

Thank you

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: I get this message in ZA: Execute a dll file as an application, is it legit?

They are legit and probably not dangerous. Does the alert tell you what .dll? Does this occur while you're trying to do something or just randomly? DLL files are often used as an application so that in itself is not unusual.

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: I get this message in ZA: Execute a dll file as an application, is it legit?

<blockquote><hr>BillC wrote:
    They are legit and probably not dangerous. Does the alert tell you what .dll? Does this occur while you're trying to do something or just randomly? DLL files are often used as an application so that in itself is not unusual.
    <hr></blockquote>
    Bill, one thing that bothers me about his question is that he said it tried to launch his ZA uninstaller file. Furthermore, if he is correctly reporting the message in the Suspicious Behavior alert, he says &quot;Execute a dll as an application is trying...&quot;. The correct common name for rundll32.exe is &quot;Run a dll as an application&quot;, and when I've gotten a rundll alert myself in the past, it always started as &quot;Run a dll as an application has tried...&quot; If his really does say &quot;Execute a dll as an application...&quot;, then I'd like to know the actual file name behind it and its location. Rundll32.exe should be in the windows\system32 directory.

Original poster, are you sure your alert box said &quot;EXECUTE a dll as an application&quot;? If so, do you know the actual file name behind it? The file name will be listed in the middle of the alert box. You can also look at the program entries in your program control list in the ZA control panel. There should be an entry for a &quot;RUN dll as an application&quot;. Right-click it, choose &quot;properties&quot; and confirm its rundll32.exe and its location in the windows\system32 folder. If there is also an entry for &quot;Execute dll as an application&quot; then right-click it, and choose &quot;properties&quot; and report its filename and location. Thanks.

As far as the alert you get about monitoring keystrokes, mouse movements, etc. there are some legit programs that produce that alert like Quicken. That alert will pop up when Quicken is started. Do you know what program you are trying to launch when you get that alert? Again, the actual filename will be in the middle of the alert box under &quot;application.&quot; I don't know why &quot;Run a dll...&quot; (rundll32.exe) would need that permission, and am even more concerned if it really says &quot;Execute a dll...&quot; wanted to monitor. So you may need to do a little more detective work and report back. Thanks.

In the meantime, I'd click &quot;deny&quot; on all these alerts and see if it has any negative effect. Have you run any additional antimalware product scans either from your PC or at any of the trusted online scan sites?

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 01-14-200707:09 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

Thread Information