Thread: ZASS 7 Not Saving Program Specific Expert Rules

raccroc Guest

Default ZASS 7 Not Saving Program Specific Expert Rules

ZASS 7.0.302.000
    Windows XP Pro Sp2
    Behavior repeatable before and after a clean install.

My print spooler keeps trying to access the various places on the internet via ports 53 & 161 specifically.

This is not ok.

Easy enough...I changed the Program Control setting to remove all access except for local lan from the Spool Subsys App.

Problem is, I keep getting popup alerts telling my ZASS has denied access. I can check to box to not alert me; however, this is a system wide setting and I would like to know if I am getting other alerts.

Again, seems easy enough...Program Control -> Spool Subsys Apps -> Options -> Expert Rules -> Create a rule to deny access and log w/o alerting.

Great, works like a champ. Until I reboot the system. Setting seems to go away every reboot.

Any suggestions on why this might be? (Global rules seem to stay and I created a bogus rule for another app and it seems to stay between reboots.)

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: ZASS 7 Not Saving Program Specific Expert Rules

<blockquote><hr>Raccroc wrote:
    ZASS 7.0.302.000
    Windows XP Pro Sp2
    Behavior repeatable before and after a clean install.

My print spooler keeps trying to access the various places on the internet via ports 53 &amp; 161 specifically.

This is not ok.

Easy enough...I changed the Program Control setting to remove all access except for local lan from the Spool Subsys App.

Problem is, I keep getting popup alerts telling my ZASS has denied access. I can check to box to not alert me; however, this is a system wide setting and I would like to know if I am getting other alerts.

Again, seems easy enough...Program Control -&gt; Spool Subsys Apps -&gt; Options -&gt; Expert Rules -&gt; Create a rule to deny access and log w/o alerting.

Great, works like a champ. Until I reboot the system. Setting seems to go away every reboot.

Any suggestions on why this might be? (Global rules seem to stay and I created a bogus rule for another app and it seems to stay between reboots.)

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version: 7.0

<hr></blockquote>

Hi, Raccroc:

I can answer only part of your question.

The current version 7.0 has a known issue with not remembering expert rules. Please see this notice:

http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...ssage.id=61385

I have recently seen a guru posting that stated a new 7 version will hopefully be available mid-February, which will address a lot of issues, hopefully including your problem with not remembering expert rules.

I don't know why your spooler is behaving like that or what it is trying to access. Maybe another user will comment on that part of it. They would likely want to know if you use a network printer or USB/LPT, etc., and if network, what zone is it assigned to.

Good luck!

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 02-02-200709:54 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

Thread Information