Thread: system very slow, explorer.exe and DR. Watson crash after update on XP Professional

cpierson Guest

Default system very slow, explorer.exe and DR. Watson crash after update on XP Professional

Shortly after updating ZA, my system went haywire. Startup takes quite a long time, and right after the welcome screen, every time, I get an error message "explorer.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." the only option is "close", so I click on that.

The majority of the time, a minute or two after the "explorer.exe" error message, I receive a second error message: "Dr. Watson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and needs to close." Again, the only option is to click on "close." If I do that, the ONLY thing I can do is hit ctl+alt+del and open up Task Manager, then restart or shut down the system from there. Nothing else functions. Once or twice, the entire system has frozen.

The few times when Dr. Watson doesn't crash, I am able to open Task Manager and restart explorer.exe.

I have attempted a system restore, but the two times I tried that, it failed.

I don't have ANY other spyware, antivirus, or firewall software installed.

I haven't tried uninstalling ZA yet, but I'll try that tonight. the system starts up fine in safe mode, so I'll be doing that to uninstall ZA.

I would appreciate any other suggestions, though.

My system:

Dell Optiplex (don't remember which one)
    Intel Pentium 4, 2.4 Ghz
    1 Gb Ram
    Windows XP Professional SP2

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

cpierson Guest

Default Re: system very slow, explorer.exe and DR. Watson crash after update on XP Professional

Well, I uninstalled ZA, and cleaned up all the leftover files.
    Now the system works perfectly.
    I also noticed how much faster the system runs without ZA.
    After the hassle the ZA update has caused, I've decided to NOT reinstall it on my system.
    ANY version.
    Thanks anyway.

Thread Information