Thread: ZoneAlarm causing problems with windows startup after latest Windows update

aspirinjunky Guest

Default ZoneAlarm causing problems with windows startup after latest Windows update

hi folks,
    is there a conflict between ZoneAlarm (I'm running the latest free version) and the current set of windows patches? I'm running Windows XP Home Edition on a laptop.

After getting the update yesterday, I can not start windows properly without disabling zonealarm. After starting the computer, an error box "vsmon.exe failed to execute" appeared at the logon prompt.
    After logging on, the only thing displayed was the windows desktop background (no icons, start menu, etc).
    I was able to launch ZoneAlarm manually from a dos box (managed to launch it from the task manager which fortunately popped up when I hit <ctr><alt><del&gt and I "de-selected" the "launch at startup option. When I rebooted the machine, everything worked okay.
    When I again tried to manually launch ZoneAlarm, I got another error message "True Vector Service Encountered A Problem", but the zonealarm window itself never appeared (although vsmon.exe was visable in the task manager).

I've currently gone back to the Window firewall, but I'd like to get zonealarm running again.
    can anyone shed some insight?
    thanks,
    d...

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:5.x

cyberseal Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm causing problems with windows startup after latest Windows update

Hi! I am new to this sort of thing, although not very new to computing and have used ZoneLabs products for years, hating both Norton and McAfee for former profession contact with both.
    I recently have had some problems with windows startup, or with Zone Labs startup(to the point that I start ZoneLabs manually after window is finally up in the air).
    While I am using WinXP Pro instead of WinXP Home, my solution has been to reinstall ZoneLabs when the vismon.exe will not validate.
    While this is time consuming and flustrating as one has to go through all the steps to install, upgrade, and answer the questions at installation, as well as change the defaults from Auto to manual, it is the only way I have managed to get around the Vismon not validation problem.
    Also, I have learned to carefully read each of the Windows updates and not even install the ones that don't pertain to me, such as Outlook updates, as I use only webmail, to avoid any more window stuff than I have to use to get by.If I had my way, I would switch to Linux, as my Martian Industries advisor in San Diego suggested years ago, but I lack the patience and ability to properly configure Linux, so am stuck here with you all.
    I hope this helped, with highlite on two points:1) Reinstall to over come startup problems2) Install only Windows Updates that are needed.Good Luck!

jmiedema Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm causing problems with windows startup after latest Windows update

You're not alone. I'm using Windows XP Pro and ZoneAlarm Pro 6.5 on a workstation with no other spy or ad blocking software installed.
    After installing the latest round of XP updates made available this week, I encountered two problems: (1) I received a blue screen of death on bootup, which showed the culprit to be ZA's vsdatant.sys file; (2) today, the True Vector Monitor shut down and announced a problem with ZA's vsmon.exe file (see the other thread below this one).
    Only after trying to research these problems did I also discover that ZA Pro v7 is available. I check for ZA updates manually, and am always told that my system is up to date. Doesn't my current subscription allow me to upgrade from v6.5 to v7?

aspirinjunky Guest

thanks for the quick replies! sounds like I should try to re-install zone alarm, but I wanted some opinions before I proceed so I don't screw things up too badly:
    1. is there an easy way for me to determine the current version of za I have installed?
    I think it's 6.x, but it will not launch properly, hence I cannot
    check the version using the HELP menu.2.
    I believe I have the setup files for my current version (zlsSetup_65_722_000_en); can I reinstall with this file, or should I download the latest version (which I think someone mentioned was 7.x).
    I'm trying to avoid this because I'm using a dialup...3. When I reinstall, do I need to uninstall the broken version first, or will the installation program "automagically" handle that?
    4. are there any other "gotcha's" that I missed, but should consider?
    thanks,
    d...

To check the version outside ZA: Windows Explorer, C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm right click on ZlClient.exe or ZoneAlarm.exe, click properties, version tab (or the version may show in
    a popup description
    when you hover your mouse
    over the file: depends on your folder option settings).
    You can use 6.5.722 if you want to, or you can download 7.0.302, entirely up to you..
    In either case you should first clean uninstall ZA.

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 02-16-200706:49 PM

jmiedema Guest

After responding to your message yesterday, I downloaded and installed ZA Pro 7.0 (I was using 6.5). I didn't uninstall 6.5 first. Instead, I selected the "clean install" vs. "upgrade" selection when doing the installation. I did back up and save my previous settings, however. After installing 7.0, I tried to restore my saved settings, and ZA choked.
    I then did a second clean install of 7.0 without trying to restore previous settings, and everything went fine. I did, however, disable ZA from automatically starting at bootup. After booting this AM, I manually started ZA. My computer has been running all day and, to this point, I've had no True Vector Monitor shutdowns. After a few days of this, I'll enable ZA on startup to see whether I have bootup problems and another blue screen of death.
    From my experience, I'd suggest that the lastest rounds of XP updates corrupts certain ZA files and renders the program useless. I also discovered that ZA 6.5 was no longer logging events, and all previous log entries had disappeared. I'd have to suggest that anyone who installs the newest XP updates should plan on having to reinstall ZA without trying to restore previous settings.

scottsm Guest

I had a TrueVector problem with my upgrade from v6.5 to v7. I followed the instructions in the link below and was able to complete the upgrade successfully.
    http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...rruptlogs.html

Thread Information