Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Explorer prevented?

angelsilhouette Guest

Default Windows Explorer prevented?

Yesterday I renewed my ZA pro and Upgraded to Suite. There were a few problems installing and I had to do an uninstall and clean install to get it working. However after I got the program running smoothly, after a couple of boots I got a message:
    __________________________________________________ _
    Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows

To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program.

Name: Windows Explorer

Publisher: Microsoft Corporation

Data Execution Prevention helps protect against damage from viruses and other security threats.

The only option I have is to close the message. After I do so, my icons and start bar disappear for a few moments then re-appear. The system tray is empty and re-fills with all but my video card and audio card control panel icons.

Uninstalling ZA solves this error completely and it will not crop up again until I re-install Zone Alarm and then reboot more than the first time after installing. After that, it goes back to giving me that message. Please tell me there is a way to fix this, I would like to use Zone Alarm; I have been using it since the beginning, and would love to continue using it since it has never done me wrong until now.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: Windows Explorer prevented?

<blockquote><hr>Angelsilhouette wrote:
    Yesterday I renewed my ZA pro and Upgraded to Suite. There were a few problems installing and I had to do an uninstall and clean install to get it working. However after I got the program running smoothly, after a couple of boots I got a message:
    Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows

To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program.

Name: Windows Explorer

Publisher: Microsoft Corporation

Data Execution Prevention helps protect against damage from viruses and other security threats.

The only option I have is to close the message. After I do so, my icons and start bar disappear for a few moments then re-appear. The system tray is empty and re-fills with all but my video card and audio card control panel icons.

Uninstalling ZA solves this error completely and it will not crop up again until I re-install Zone Alarm and then reboot more than the first time after installing. After that, it goes back to giving me that message. Please tell me there is a way to fix this, I would like to use Zone Alarm; I have been using it since the beginning, and would love to continue using it since it has never done me wrong until now.

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version: 7.0

<hr></blockquote>

Hi, Angel:
    Sorry you are having problems. When you went from ZA Pro to ZASS did you do the mega uninstall such as in the link below, or did you try to install ZASS over the ZA Pro? And when you uninstalled ZASS the first time, did you use the method in the link below?

http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...message.id=103

There are at least two other threads where people have had Data Execution Prevention problems recently, including another one today:

http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...ssage.id=63595

And here's a longer thread from last month with a couple of users experiencing DEP problems:

http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...ssage.id=61738

I know virtually nothing about DEP except what I just read in the Windows Help section and those threads. Luckily I've never had that kind of error. There is a fair amount of material there that explains it to some degree. If the meticulous uninstall/reinstall in the first link above doesn't solve your problem, you may need to contact Tech Support at:

http://www.zonelabs.com/tsform

What status are you in right now? Do you have the ZASS 7.0 installed or partially uninstalled? If you are partially uninstalled, you cannot follow the above instructions verbatim but you can use what you can, with one possible change. If you don't have the ZA icon in your systray and therefore can't get into the ZA control panel to do the parts &quot;uncheck load ZA at startup&quot; and &quot;shutdown ZA&quot;, you'll likely have to do the manual uninstall in Safe Mode. Otherwise you won't be able to delete the leftover files. It's very important to have your folder options configured to show all hidden files like the instructions say, and once you delete all the ZA files and folders, clean up the registry as instructed. So print out a copy of the above instructions, read them over a time or two, then follow them as best you can. Of course, disconnect your PC from the internet before uninstalling and installing ZA. And write down your license key or have it available before you start.

Before you do that, if you're able to have protected internet access (using Windows firewall or someone else's PC), I'd download a fresh version of the install file just in case the one you downloaded originally had some file corruption in it. If you can't easily and safely do that or don't want to, then you can try the same install file again since that would be probably less likely than an install conflict, assuming you do not use any type of download accelerator to download your files. When you install it be sure to temporarily disable any other antimalware/security products that might interfere with its installation. Once ZA is up and running, then re-enable those products and connect back to the internet.

Be sure you don't have any other AV products installed like NAV or McAfee. Since ZASS has antivirus already, having a second AV program can cause problems. You were likely using an AV with your ZA Pro. What was it and did you remove it? Both Norton and McAfee have some special removal tools on their websites which clean up remnants of their programs that even their uninstallers leave behind.

Also Spyware Doctor, some versions of System Mechanic, etc. have had conflicts with ZASS.

I hope this helps. Report back on your progress or any problems, and someone will try to help you.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 02-17-200711:40 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

angelsilhouette Guest

I did the mega-uninstall as suggested, but the problem is still extant. After installing ZASS, changing its settings to suit my needs and updating the AV/Anti-Spyware definitions and rebooting, it goes right back to the DEP. After reading some of the other posts you pointed out, it seems to be an issue with my logitech webcam. I remember another program that had problems with my webcam drivers (Star Wars Galaxies) after an update, and when they insisted it was logitech's responsibility and not theirs, I dropped them like a hot potato.

Hopefully Checkpoint will zero in on the issue and fix this compatibility within the 30 days I have to get a refund for the product, though I would hate to drop ZA after so many years of trusted service.

critterjoe Guest

I did the mega-uninstall as suggested, but the problem is still extant. After installing ZASS, changing its settings to suit my needs and updating the AV/Anti-Spyware definitions and rebooting, it goes right back to the DEP. After reading some of the other posts you pointed out, it seems to be an issue with my logitech webcam. I remember another program that had problems with my webcam drivers (Star Wars Galaxies) after an update, and when they insisted it was logitech's responsibility and not theirs, I dropped them like a hot potato.

Hopefully Checkpoint will zero in on the issue and fix this compatibility within the 30 days I have to get a refund for the product, though I would hate to drop ZA after so many years of trusted service.
    <hr></blockquote>

You may wish to go ahead and notify Tech Support you are having the problem. The more people they know having the problem, hopefully the more onus on fixing it. Plus, if they've learned anything new for a workaround in the meantime they might be able to share it with you. You can use this free webform if you wish:

http://www.zonelabs.com/tsform

Perhaps for a known incompatibility issue they might extend the 30 days if they think it will be fixed in the next release, but I don't know that. None of us work for Zonelabs, we're all just fellow users. Good luck.

angelsilhouette Guest

Thanks Joe, I'll fill out the form.

jwk Guest

Hi. I've been watching this thread (and a couple more) as I have been having a similar problem.

Have you tried uninstalling version 7 and going back to version 6? That's what I was using until my HD died. When I got the new one up and running, version 7 was available...THAT's when the problem(s) started.

I just found an installation file from old (semi-dead) HD and it appears to be version 6.5 (zlsSetup_65_722_000_en.exe).

This version seemed to work perfectly fine! I'll let you know how it goes.

jwk Guest

<blockquote><hr>jwk wrote:
    Hi. I've been watching this thread (and a couple more) as I have been having a similar problem.

Have you tried uninstalling version 7 and going back to version 6? That's what I was using until my HD died. When I got the new one up and running, version 7 was available...THAT's when the problem(s) started.

I just found an installation file from old (semi-dead) HD and it appears to be version 6.5 (zlsSetup_65_722_000_en.exe).

This version seemed to work perfectly fine! I'll let you know how it goes.
    <hr></blockquote>

Just in cast anyone is searching for the solution:

In order to solve the Data Execution Protection problem (and possibly conflict problem with Logitech) that seems to occur when running ZASS on Windows XP, you should uninstall Zone Alarm 7 and install one of the version 6 packages.

At least that has been the solution for me!

jay

angelsilhouette Guest

Where do you get the version 6 download? For me, my only option is to get a refund and go with ZA pro instead.

jwk Guest

Where do you get the version 6 download? For me, my only option is to get a refund and go with ZA pro instead.
    <hr></blockquote>

I dug around on the zonealarm website and found this page where you can download previous versions of the software: http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html

Good luck.

angelsilhouette Guest

I must apologize for never thanking you about this, jwk. I think I must have gotten so excited that it worked, I completely forgot to come thank you.

I wonder if the issue was ever resolved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information