Thread: AVG Anti-Spyware is trying to change your network settings...

marlinp Guest

Default AVG Anti-Spyware is trying to change your network settings...

I get the message"AVG Anti-Spyware is trying to change your network settings
    by modifying the file:WINDRVDIR\etc\hosts"
    What should I do?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: AVG Anti-Spyware is trying to change your network settings...

Allow. I have the same situation. AVG you can trust.NaiveMelody NYC 2-20-07~8:50pm e.s.t. - Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees

What is happening AVG Anti-spyware checks the HOST-file for malicious "ewido.net" entries so that you still can update even if a trojan has redirected update.ewido.net to another IP using the HOST-file. NaiveMelody is correct go ahead and allow.

jmfresq Guest

I have tried to allow the alert many times but it still pops up every 2 - 3 minutes.
    I have even allowed the program access by going to the programs section of Zone Alarm but still get the error.
    Is there something else I am missing.
    Thanks for your help.

naivemelody Guest

jmfresq - writes - I have tried to allow the alert many times but it still pops up every 2 - 3 minutes.
    I have even allowed the program access by going to the programs section of Zone Alarm but still get the error.
    Is there something else I am missing.
    Thanks for your help.<hr>I use 'manual updating' for AVG, sometimes ZA gets a little finicky with auto-updating, or it could be AVG's issue, or another security software is the cause. jmfresq - it would be better when you post, to list your security set-up, the versions of, etc. so we can get a better picture of your situation. And if you prefer, start a new post of your own, with complete details of your set-up and your problem. :8}NaiveMelody NYC 2-23-07~1:00am e.s.t. - Soul Kitchen - the Doors

halh Guest

I am having the same problem: Security Alert - AVG is trying to change your network settings by modifying the file: Windrvdir\etc\hosts

My settings:
    ZASS v. 7.0.462.000
    TrueVector engine 7.0.462.000
    Driver version 7.0.472.000
    Anti-virus engine version 3; DAT version 01.200712.3025
    AntiSpam version 5.0.6.8903

AVG Anti-spyware: Custom, Trust Level: Super; ACCESS and SERVER, Trusted and Internet - all checked
    AVG Anti-spyware guard: Custom, Trust: Level Super; ACCESS and SERVER, Trusted and Internet - all checked
    The only item checked under Options for each of the Programs above is &quot;authenticate components&quot;

Is there a way to allow AVG to function without the frequent pop-up flag?

naivemelody Guest

I have AVG free anti-spy, and I will still have to occasionally allow that ZA alert, I guess it's going to be one 'quirk' we have to get use to with AVG - I don't mind, when you update once a day, I'd rather deal
    wtih this than get more spam e-mails. <hr>In a way, when ZA alerts you about a program trying to access/ modify your 'host' files = ZA is doing it's job of protecting - think of it that way. <hr>NaiveMelody NYC 12-15-07 - Be Thankful For What You've Got - William DeVaughn

halh Guest

I agree, the protection is necessary. However, I don't know how the freeware compares with the purchased AVG; I have AVG 7.5.1.3 plus. The daily update does not get flagged, but I do get 3 or 4 flags during the day, once during a PowerPoint presentation while NOT connected to the WEB. I'd really like to know if/how I can grant &quot;immunity&quot; to AVG.

Thread Information