Thread: SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIOR: Self-Extracting Cabinet

taujenis Guest

Default SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIOR: Self-Extracting Cabinet

After Windows Update.
    Self-Extracting Cabinet is trying to launch
    I\EA082F24471AA4F4B0BE7B\MPSIGSTUB.EXE, or use another program to gain access to privileged resourcesApplication:
    mpas-d.exe
    I'm assuming that it is OK to allow, but I am on unsecured wireless access at a motel, and am very leary to allow.I will not Allow or Deny until I receive advice, or log off (which I would then deny).
    My fear is that if I deny, will I start having some unwanted computer problems.This is my first time posting anything, and I am a computer *****.Thank You in advance.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIOR: Self-Extracting Cabinet

I googled - mpas-d.exe - and found this, and usually after Microsoft Windows Update, which you have done, there is a &quot;self-extracting cabinet&quot; file, this is normal. I'd vote - allow.<hr>

mpas-d.exe
    Component Name: mpas-d.exe

Description of mpas-d.exe
    This is a component of
    Microsoft Windows Defender. Microsoft Defender, formerly Windows Anti-spyware, is an anti-spyware application that scans the user PCs for various types of malware, and runs a variety of other security features.

Recommendation for mpas-d.exe
    NA

Trusted: Yes
    Trojan: No
    Chronic: No
    Adware: No
    Carrier: No
    Browser Hijacker: No
    Dialer: No
    Commercial Keylogger: No
    Remote Administration Tool: No
    Suspected: No

Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
    Platforms Affected:

Methods of Distribution: This application can be manually downloaded from the manufacturer site and other shareware sites.
    Variants/Versions:

Release Date: 2005<hr>Next time you have any doubts, www.google.com
    the item, learn and discover.NaiveMelody NYC 2-22-07~10:44pm e.s.t. - Dance the night away - Van Halen

taujenis Guest

Default Thank You

Great info.
    Thank you.
    I will google from now on, then come back and ask you what the **bleep** google meant (ha!).

boofhead Guest

Default Re: SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIOR: Self-Extracting Cabinet

I get fairly frequent &quot;Red Alerts&quot; from ZA in connection with mpas-d.exe trying to access privileged information.Since this application appears to be harmless and part of Windows Defende, I wonder why ZA flag it with a Red Level alert and also say in the &quot;info&quot; box that there is no information available.
    A similar problem is with svchost.exe, which produces numerous alerts at a lower level. This appears to be part of the Windows operating system - but again ZA simply says no info is availble.

Thread Information