Thread: srescan.sys---Blue Screen after installing Microsoft Automatic Updates

blackwood Guest

Default srescan.sys---Blue Screen after installing Microsoft Automatic Updates

I've been using ZoneAlarm for 1 month with no problems. Now I have
    also just received 3 blue screens on reboot/startup after installing Microsoft Automatic Updates - one update was Outlook 7, one regular security update, one maybe the monthly malicious software removal tool, and maybe one more...
    Using ZoneAlarm version 7.0.302.000

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: srescan.sys---Blue Screen after installing Microsoft Automatic Updates

With ZA free, you can safely remove srescan.sys from your system, it isn't used by ZA free. Version 7 of ZA free installs parts of the ZASS that are included in the large download, in case you accept the offer to upgrade. Those bits get installed without warning
    before you are asked whether you want to upgrade and remain installed even if you decline. Why, I have no idea, unless it is to make the upgrade easier.
    To remove srescan.sys (which loads on boot, and therefore requires a few special steps to remove),
    follow the procedure I give in this thread (about the tenth post in that thread).
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=15310
    You could also check in Add/remove, whether mail frontier has been installed: another bit of ZASS (spam filter for Outlook)
    not relevant for ZA free. (if you use Microstf Office Outlook, also remove the addin that mail frontier installs)

cirs Guest

Default Re: srescan.sys---Blue Screen after installing Microsoft Automatic Updates

JRosenfeld, just a couple of questions about those instructions.
    In step 2 it says to 'change start type to manual'. I dont have this option in the drop down menu. The 5 options I have are:
    AutomaticBootDemandSystemDisabled
    Which one should I choose? Please forgive my ignorance!!
    Also what are the "other control sets" referred to in step 4.
    Thanks for the help, cheers

Demand is, as far as I'm aware the same as manual.
    In your registry, in addition to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSetyou will find probably haveHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001HKEY_LO CAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002possibly others similarly numbered.

cirs Guest

Ok thanks.
    Cheers for the quick reply.

Thread Information