Thread: BSOD due to use of USB drive

jnickel Guest

Default BSOD due to use of USB drive

Ok, here's what I wrote to ZA about the problems that I've run into. Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi
    I'm an extremely unhappy user of Zone Alarm Security Suite (ZASS) v7.0, due to a fatal problem in the v7.0.302 and v7.0.337 upgrades.

This Information Applies to: ZSS 7.0

Problem: ZASS 7.0 causes a BSOD whenever I insert a USB jump drive. The manufacturer, size (256MB, 1GB or 2GB) or protocol (USB1.0 or 2.0) does not matter. All that I do is stick a drive into any USB port and the computer goes into BSOD within seconds. Upon rebooting, I get a BSOD during the reboot sequence, every time, 10 seconds after the 'windows theme' audio clip ends. This is a non-recoverable error, necessitating a complete removal of ZASS under 'safe'mode' in order to get my computer working again.

History: This problem did not exist for the ZASS 6.5.737 version or prior versions. I found it out within hours of my attempted upgrade to ZASS 7.0, before anything on my computer had a chance to change.

IMPORTANT - VERIFY THESE FIRST
    Verify that you have only - Windows 2000/XP (the 6.5 version supports only Windows 2000/XP)
    I currently have MS Windows XP v5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600 with all current patches installed

- the very latest version of your ZoneAlarm product
    My latest download is zaSuiteSetup_70_337_000_en.exe

- the very latest drivers for all add-on hardware for your system
    Yes, I have gone to Dell's website and downloaded and installed all relevant upgrades, including reflashing my BIOS to Dell Inc. A07, 7/15/2005,
    and have used the 'upgrade drivers' feature to check for newer drivers.

- the very latest video drivers for your graphics card
    Yes, I downloaded the latest drivers for my graphics card from Nvidia last week, well after finding out about the BSOD

- ONE software firewall running (running multiple software firewalls is not supported)
    Yes, I turn off the windows XP firewall

- the original Winsock file (search for WSOCK32.DLL, right-click and get Properties -> version)
    Yes, I have only one version of Winsock32.dll running, it currently is in my C:/windows/system32 folder

If ALL of the above conditions have been met, and you still experience the BSODs, please contact us by sending an email to **bleep** . Be sure to include the ALL of the following or your request will be deleted:

- Is the BSOD reproducible? Include step by step instructions for reproducing it.
    1)ZASS was installed in a completely clean install. The old version was uninstalled in accordance with instructions from the ZA forums, website is http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103. Installation was normal, and antivirus and antispyware
    were upgraded from ZA website immediately. Afterward, ZASS 7.0 causes a BSOD whenever I insert a USB jump drive. The manufacturer, size (256MB, 1GB or 2GB) or protocol (USB1.0 or 2.0) does not matter. All that I do is stick a drive into any USB port and the computer goes into BSOD within seconds. Upon rebooting, I get a BSOD during the reboot sequence, every time, 10 seconds after the 'windows theme' audio clip ends. This is a non-recoverable error, necessitating a complete removal of ZASS in order to get my computer working again.

- Do you get any specific error message or STOP code?
    Yes, during the USB-induced reboot I get the following data form the BSOD: STOP: 0xC0000005, 0x804EF08C, 0xF7A49924, 0xF7A49620. During the BSOD that comes up during reboot, I get the following:
    STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x804EF08C, 0xF7A41924, 0xF7A41620)

- Did anything change right before the BSODs began?
    No, I found the problems within hours or the upgrade.

- What is your Operating System? Is it fully patched and updated?
    I currently have MS Windows XP v5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600 with all current patches installed

- Include your product name, and all of the version information given on Overview ->
    Product: ZASS 7.0.337.000
    TrueVector security engine version: 7.0.337.000
    Driver version: 7.0.337.000
    Antivirus engine version 3, DAT file version
    Antispyware engine version 5.0.162.0, DAT file version 01.200703.1235
    Antispam version 4.9.1.8211

Further information: My computer is a Dell Dimension XPS with an Intel 3591MHz processor, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 6800 graphics card.

I have contacted ZA customer service, without positive results. On one occasion, I was given the following instructions:
    Click Start, Run, type MSConfig in the run box, and click OK. Once in
    MSConfig, click the Startup Tab, and remove the checks from everything
    except ZLClient. Now click the Service Tab, place a check in "Hide All
    Microsoft Services." Now remove checks from everything other than
    TrueVector Internet Monitor, and click OK. Restart your computer and see if
    it works. If it works, go back into MSConfig and place checks back in five or so at a time and restart, so you can narrow down what is causing the
    conflict.
    I ran msconfig and unchecked all the programs that they talked about, rebooted, and as soon as I put in a USB drive, the BSOD appeared.

Another time, I was instructed to uncheck the On-access scanning feature and try again; as usual, the BSOD appeared.

This is a fatal problem, and without AV/firewall software, I'm out of luck. For some reason, I can't reinstall earlier versions of ZASS, they **bleep** out during install and I have to uninstall. I need the help quickly, or I'm going to have to try my luck with Norton or McAffee.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: BSOD due to use of USB drive

Hi jnickel

The code 7E can be found here>

http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

MicroSoft info on BSOD>

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/arc....mspx?mfr=true

Technical Support for the BSOD>

http://www.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/P...bsodcrash.html

I understand your frustration, BSOD has happened to the best of us.

Do the /clean uninstall method to remove the new version and get the PC prepared for the older version.

Like this>

Please follow the steps included below to uninstall and reinstall.

In order to perform a clean uninstall of ZoneAlarm, there is a new option
    available. Please make sure that you have the latest version downloaded
    already, if you plan to reinstall. Now follow the steps below:

- If you wish to keep your settings, create a Backup from Overview -
    Preferences before starting, and then Restore afterwards.

- Click on Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs
    - RIGHT-click on Uninstall ZoneAlarm, then select Properties
    - Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may
    be different on your system):

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe"

Change it to:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean /rmlicense

(add a space and then the /clean /rmlicense)

Open the Zone Alarm and disable the "Load Zone Alarm .. at startup" in the Preferences of the Overview. Then reboot.

BUT I Want you to do it a special way, Not the usual advice. DO NOT BOOT INTO NORMAL MODE. Instead start the PC in the Safe Mode and now follow the rest of the usual instructions PLus make sure you have the key recorded either on a file or on paper for inserting it later when the new install is started

-Return to the Uninstall ZoneAlarm in the Zone Labs of the All Programs
    - Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that
    pop up.
    - say "Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files.
    - Reboot

You could even follow the instruction here to help clean the PC even further>

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103

Okay... the ZASS version can be found here for downloading>

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html

I hope this helps you get things straightened out and back using the desktop.

Best regards.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-01-2007 11:16 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information