Thread: Application error vsmon.exe (when running virus scan in ZA Security Suite)

mikesndbs Guest

Default Application error vsmon.exe (when running virus scan in ZA Security Suite)

Hi

I have run Zone Alarm free version for many years and have always been impressed.
    So a couple of days ago I decided to buy a three user licence for Zone Alarm Security Suite.

It looks good but I have had two issues that have really annoyed me and I can't seem to get a mail to support about it.

I am getting the following error when I run a virus scan.

Application error vsmon.exe

The instruction at "0x7c901010" referenced memory at "0x01c6d8fc". The memory could not be read
    Click ok to terminate the program.
    This comes up again when you click the ok button.
    The result is that the scanner then goes into a loop using 50% of my resources and my whole
    system has to be restarted.
    I have followed the advice in your instant support machine and this has not fixed the error.
    I am a brand new customer and its a little disappointing that I can't get the product to work properly.
    Here is my system details:
    Windows:

Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
    Internet Explorer:

Memory (RAM):

2047 MB
    CPU Info:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
    CPU Speed:

3188.0 MHz
    Sound card:

Realtek AC97 Audio
    Display Adapters:

NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM) | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD |
    Screen Resolution:

800 X 600
    Network:

Network Present
    Network Adapters:

SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport |
    CD / DVD Drives:

G: SONY

DVD RW DW-Q28A

|
    Default Printer:

EPSON Stylus Photo R200 Series
    COM Ports:

COM1 | COM2 | COM4 |
    LPT Ports:

LPT1 |
    Mouse:

3 Button Wheel Mouse Present
    Hard Disks:

C:
    189.9GB | E:
    189.9GB |
    Hard Disks - Free:

C:
    159.3GB | E:
    158.8GB |
    USB Controllers:

Detected: 4 host controllers.
    Firewire (1394):

Detected: 1 host controllers.
    PCMCIA (Laptops):

Not Installed
    Manufacturer:

Phoenix Technologies, LTD
    Product Make:

Serial Number:

AC Power Status:

BIOS Info:

AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 01/17/05 | AWARD
    - 42302e31 |
    |
    Time Zone:

GMT Standard Time
    Battery:

No Battery
    Motherboard:

Modems:

(On my laptop the programme reverted to a free version despite my setting it up properly.
    I had to reinstall all over again.)

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

ygmir Guest

Default Re: Application error vsmon.exe (when running virus scan in ZA Security Suite)

I'm having the same problem. and, sometimes it shuts ZA off altogether.
    Any ideas?
    THanks

mikesndbs Guest

Default Re: Application error vsmon.exe (when running virus scan in ZA Security Suite)

Hi
    I had this from support, I have done it and so far it works but I think I did this off my own back, maybe not the 'clean' option.Try and see, but I am less and less happy with ZA SS, my system has become very slow at start up, some other progs have become erratic. And it blocks the cookies from this site! :robotmad:Plus I paid for this.....????
    Here's what they sent me.

Thank you for contacting Zone Labs Technical Support.

If I understand you correctly you get a memory error.

There may be a problem with your installation. ZoneAlarm is dependent on its True Vector service to function properly. You may need to refresh the files associated with this service.

The first step to fixing it is to uninstall following the special procedure documented below.

In order to perform a clean uninstall of ZoneAlarm, there is a new option available (beginning with version 4). Please make sure that you have the latest version downloaded already, if you plan to reinstall.

Then follow the steps below:

IMPORTANT - If you have a Cisco VPN client installed, you must first uninstall the VPN client, then follow the instructions below, and reinstall the Cisco VPN client again afterwords. This procedure will remove all traces of the TrueVector service, which was incorporated by Cisco into the VPN software.

- If you wish to keep your settings, create a Backup from Overview --> Preferences before starting, and then Restore afterwords.

- Click on Start --> Programs --> Zone Labs

- RIGHT-click on Uninstall ZoneAlarm, then select Properties

- Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may be different on your system):

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe"

Change it to:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean

(add a space and then the /clean)

- Now uninstall by clicking on Start --> Programs --> Zone Labs --> Uninstall.

- Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK to any security alerts that pop up.

- Say "Yes" when being prompted for the removal of all files.

- Reboot & Install the latest version, preferably from a clean download.

dave_beer Guest

I seem to have similar problem. Details below.

My weekly scheduled virus and spyware scans were just starting when a pop-up appeared above the system tray area which included the text to click here for (I don't remember the exact message). When I did so, I got the system error:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Application Popup
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 26
    Date: 4/5/2007
    Time: 8:03:09 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: D4SL5R51
    Description:
    Application popup: vsmon.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x010c863c" referenced memory at "0x00044332". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

This shut down virus scanning and all of the icons on the overview panel indicated that they were not functioning. After a little while the icons all turned back to OK, but the virus scan had been aborted with no message in the log and the anti-spyware scan started.

I tried manual restart of virus scan without rebooting and got similar error and the application seemed to hang. I rebooted and tried manual scan and it seems to be working so far, i.e., it's still running without any problem.

I am using ZAISS version 7.0.337, Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2 and (almost) all critical security updates.

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version: 7.0

mikesndbs Guest

Carried out the support idea and this failed to work!
    I have now removed the programme and requested a full refund that they seem to be happy to give.
    But! getting rid of the application has proved a real pain.
    Check my other post to find out why
    Mike

nycblader Guest

I also experienced this problem with my version of Zone Alarm Security Suite, when I updated my virus definitions today, 4/8/07.
    I had not experienced this problem before.
    I see the vsmon.exe error and the message that "True Vector security service is shut down."
    Once that happens, the scanning hangs indefinitely.
    The scanning will not end if I click on the "Skip" button, and I have to X out the window to cancel the scanning.

I first saw the problem when I ran the virus scan right after updating the virus definitions.
    I ran
    another scan with the same error.
    I rebooted my computer and ran the scan again, closely watching the progress.
    I experienced the problem at 38 minutes into the scan, after 73,000 files have been scanned.
    The error doesn't seem to be linked to any particular file that is being scanned, but it
    appears to
    happen at around the same time.
    Notwithstanding the virus scanning error, it looks like I was able to to run the Anti-Spyware program from start to finish.
    What I do know is that, if I shut down and re-launch the Zone Alarm Security Suite, I can run the virus scan again.
    I was able to scan the entire Windows directory, even though I was not able to scan the entire system.

I am running:
    Zone Alarms Security Suite 7.0.337.000True Vector security engine 7.0.337.000Driver Version 7.0.337.000Anti-Virus engine 3, DAT file versionAnti-spyware engine version 5.0.162.0, DAT file version 01.200704.1335
    My operating system is Windows XP
    I hope this additional information helps someone to figure out what's going on and for Zone Alarm to come up with a fix.

nycblader Guest

I think I've fixed my problem!
    Maybe this will work with you (my apologies if I inadvertently hijacked your thread):
    The vsmon.exe error problem and True Vector issues are discussed in other forums.
    Basically, I tried 2 things from what I read in the other forums, and I was able to run the virus scan from start to finish without the vsmon error.
    First, I added Zone Alarm to the list of programs in the Windows firewall, accessible from the Control Panel (my windows firewall is off).
    Next, I followed the instructions from Zone Alarm for errors that may be caused by recent updates.
    http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...rruptlogs.html

Thread Information