Thread: Inetinfo.exe alert after checking program as trusted

itsolutionz Guest

Default Inetinfo.exe alert after checking program as trusted

Since upgrading to Security Suite 7, everytime I boot up (Windows 2000 SP4), I see an alert questioning Inetinfo.exe. In hopes of stopping this behavior, I always click in the checkbox to accept this program as fully Trusted, knowing that I will see the alert again at the next reboot! BTW, my Anti-virus amd malware checks (seconded with SpySweeper) are clean; and I did run a search of this forum for hits on Inetinfo (1 message but not relevant).

I understand that this system resource is part of IIS, and I do run IIS services and a webserver on my computer, but I assume there is some way to inform ZoneAlarms that all is well--any suggestions Gurus (thanks)?

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: Inetinfo.exe alert after checking program as trusted

Hi!did you checked "remember always" box in the alert? If it doesn't remember your ZA database may be corrupted.Consider that SpySpweeper may conflict with ZA especially certain SS shields.... Moreover it is a resource hog.There are better and lighter alternative if you need another spyware scanner (e.g. superantispyware and its even free).Consider that if you are running ZASS latest version 7.0.337.000 you are basically running already two spyware scanners. One by Kaspersky and one by ZA AS.So spysweeper may only find cookies or dead left overs...To reset your databases do the following:http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...rruptlogs.htmlBut the above procedure will also reset all of your settings and pre-configured settings done at ZA install. So the best procedure is to go with a clean uninstall and reinstall:To clean install you need to follow this procedure:http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.htmlThen, to wipe OFF any left overs followthis step:Go to Start > Search > Files and Folders. Make sure the location box is set to search your Local Hard Drive (usually C:\ ) or All Local Drives. Also make sure the Advanced Search Options are set to search subfolders and hidden files. Now copy the entire line below, paste it into the search box and click Search Now.Zonelabs; "zone labs"; "Internet logs"; vsconfig.xml; vsdata.dll; vsdata95.vxd; vsdatant.sys; vsmon.*; vsmonapi.dll; vsnetutils.dll;vspubapi.dll; zaplus.*; zapro.*; zllictbl.dat; zlparser.dll; zonealarm.exe; zoneband.dll; vsutil.dll; zlclient.*A list of files and folders belonging to ZoneAlarm will appear in the Search Results panel.Note: if you re using McAfee software be sure to check the vsutil.dll if found: right click the file and choose Properties. Verify it belongs to ZoneLabs. If it does not do not remove it. Now proceed by deleting all ZoneLabs files and folders that were found.Empty the Recycle Bin.Run a registry/system cleaner. ccleaner is quite good utility (www.ccleaner.com) Re-download the installer from here (and do NOT use any download managers):http://www.zonelabs.com/zasuitedownload/ Install with default settings, do not alter them....After boot, manual update ZA antivirus/antispyware signature and runa full AV/AS scan.Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

itsolutionz Guest

Hi Fax,

Thanks for your response...I have some more info to help with further suggestions...

>did you check "remember always" box in the alert?

The alert popup appears right after ZA loads and the ZA icon displays in the taskbar, and I check the "remember always" box very time!

>Consider that SpySpweeper may conflict with ZA...

I only run SS as a manual program (not a service installed at startup). Once a month, I check my computer for anything ZA might have missed (and it has not missed anything critical so far Note: Every article on security recommends running multiple security programs, and, since I have experienced the memory hog issues with SS, I have found that the manual run serves as a suitable multiple security programs work-around.

>the best procedure is to go with a clean uninstall and reinstall...(and) manual update ZA antivirus/antispyware signature and run a full AV/AS scan...

I *am* running a clean install with new signatures. ZA7 would not upgrade 6.5 properly (the upgrade really screwed up my computer for a while), and I had ZA tech support help me manually edit the registry and remove all leftovers. I then installed a completely clean copy (about a monthe ago).

>Run a registry/system cleaner. ccleaner is quite good utility...

I do run ccleaner on a regular basis. However, I have found that it screws up Thunderbird and Firefox automatic updates (Thunderbird cannot complete any update and it gets stuck in a loop trying to find a missing file--I assume the file is either held in a temp folder which is removed by CC or a registry entry is edited by CC--and you must ctrl-alt-delete-restart to break the loop). The only workaround for this is to uninstall those programs before running the update (if one is using CC).

BTW, Inetinfo.exe *is* included in ZA Program Control/Programs as a Super Trust program with all Access and Server columns allowed (checked as allowed).

So, are you out of ideas Do I run a clean install again? Thanks for any help.

Hi! perfect, I see you are doing things right!Yes, SS will find some cookies or dead registry entries... if you run SS like this its a perfect solution...Thanks for the warning on ccleaner, never had problem with firefox update... and don't use Thunderbird.If you are not using IIS you should not have Inetinfo.exe on your system, where is located and what are the permission under ZA program control?Have you tried to set ZA program control for Inetinfo.exe to "kill"?Inetinfo.exe is also a known malware: http://spywarefiles.prevx.com/RRDIJE...o%252Eexe.htmlTry to upload the file to www.virustotal.com (check that the fileits not locked and that you can actually send it to virustotal.com, otherwise you will send an empty file)A simple crash or computer hang at shutdown could have compromised your ZA database.So once you have checked that Inetinfo.exe is harmless then next step is to reset the database.Fax

itsolutionz Guest

I just tried something which seems to have worked, but I need your advice as to whether I have overly reduced my security...

I opened Program Control/Programs, selected Inetinfo.exe (displayed as 'Internet Information Services'), clicked the 'Options' button, and checked both 'This program may use other programs to access the internet' and 'Allow Application Interaction'.

I then shutdown, waited a moment, and booted up again--without the alert!

Was this a good idea (what have I done!). Thanks for any advice.

itsolutionz Guest

Hi Fax,

> If you are not using IIS you should not have Inetinfo.exe on your system...

I do run IIS because I need a webserver/PHP/MySQL to test my database applications (I write front-end applications for online databases).

> Inetinfo.exe is also a known malware...upload the file to www.virustotal.com...

I am aware of that, but I have previously selected the program, right-clicked, and run ZA anti-virus on just that file (no virus found). However, I did follow your suggestion and emailed the file to virustotal (thanks for the heads-up on this site).

Did you see my message re editing Advanced Program Control for Inetinfo.exe?

Hi!Its only a good idea if that file is legit...If you do not use servers in your system.... you do not need that file.Better to set it to "KILL" and see if everything works fine on your system.And better you check Inetinfo.exe as already mentioned in my previous message.Where the file is located? Have you checked with virustotal?Cheers,Fax

Ok, I saw your message.... its fine, yes.So, good! Ready to fly again :8}Cheers,Fax

Thread Information