Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 2 and winzip 10 issue

abanerji Guest

Default Firefox 2 and winzip 10 issue

I upgraded from Firefox 1.5 to 2.0.0.3 a few days back. Have been using winzip 10 for long ... no issues earlier.

I keep my browser in offline mode, unless I am surfing the net. Firefox is my default browser. Previously (under 1.5), when I would click on a saved webpage inside a zipped folder, firefox would open the page (and remain offline). Now (under version 2), the same action opens firefox (in online state) with the saved webpage.

However, winzip has been acting funny. ZoneAlarm 6.5.737 warns me that winzip is trying to access the internet (although winzip auto-update is off), and I promptly deny permission. Once, winzip crashed.

However, I right-clicked the same saved webpage and opened in IE 6 ... and, no issue.

What could be happening, please?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Firefox 2 and winzip 10 issue

If you turn ZA off, does it still happen?
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

abanerji Guest

No, I have never shutdown ZA ... had read earlier that a firewall can't be stopped from the systray control centre, and the process still continues in background.
    However, I found about a DDE tweak in Firefox, and that has solved the issue ... not completely though.
    I have been trying various permutations (Firefox offline/online, opening saved webpage from within Firefox, opening saved webpage from within Winzip/ WindowsExplorer).
    To me it seems this is a Firefox version 2 issue.
    I seem to have hit a workaround ... if I right-click the saved webpage within Winzip/WE, and open with Firefox, it's smooth.
    One of those quirks, I reckon.
    Hope this gets corrected in the next Firefox patch.

You might try the Mozilla forums and see if they know. On a side note, you can manually shutdown ZA using the right click on the system tray Icon. But you have to physically be in front of the computer moving the mouse, you can't do it thru the internet or a LAN.

abanerji Guest

Thanks for your post.
    I did try the Mozilla forum (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...&highlight=), but wasn't successful there.
    Actually, got to know about the DDE tweak from another forum (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,18218364).
    But, like I mentioned in my previous post here, "can't kill the beast"
    I am on broadband, and paranoid about security.
    So, afraid of shutting down ZA.
    And incidentally, my PC is only accessible from my desk ... no remote access has been set.

go to program list in ZA and right click onone program then the other, select options then make sure both programs are set for program interaction.

abanerji Guest

Yes, as advised, I re-checked ZA program control.
    Firefox has access permission (both trusted & internet) ... that's why browsing has so far never been an issue.Winzip (like all my other programs, not requiring such access right) has so far not been given access permission, and prior to Firefox 2, never wanted to run to the internet.
    Incidentally, as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, apart from Winzip, even left-clicking saved webpage from within WindowsExplorer pops up the same error message (even after my DDE tweak) ... but not always ... still trying to understand the exact condition which causes this.
    Meanwhile, my workaround is right-clicking the saved webpage and all programs are happy with me!! :robotsurprised:
    One more point, like IE, WE is also given internet access right in ZA ... and still the error message pops up.
    My gut says this is a pure Firefox issue ... since I managed a workaround, I am patiently waiting for the next patch.Personally, I don't feel like giving internet access to any program just because ZA reports to me.
    So, holding on to not giving access right to Winzip yet.

Permissions is something different than what I am talking about. Right click on the program and select options. In there see if you have a selection for allowing program interaction. You may not because you are using the free version, but I am not entirely sure.

abanerji Guest

In my free version, "options" are not available.
    When I right-click on the program, I get two choices "Remove" and "Add program...".

Well then I guess that isn't the problem. I guess you were right. I just wanted to make sure, and I wasn't sure if the Free version had those options.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information