Thread: Smss.exe is trying to terminate ZClient.exe

seventhsin Guest

Default Smss.exe is trying to terminate ZClient.exe

Well, every time my Windows XP system starts up, if smss.exe loads before zclient.exe, then it'll prevent zone alarm from running. If zclient.exe runs first, I have to check to make sure that the program control thing is on high so that I get the security alert(s) that say:

smss.exe is trying to communicate with zclient.exe by opening it's process... Allow/Deny?

and if I choose allow..

smss.exe is trying to communicate with zclient.exe by terminating it's process... Allow/Deny?

This message pops up about 2-3 times a day, and it is making me a little uneasy now.

Is there anyone else that's run into this problem? Is there someone that can help me fix it? Thanks.

- SeventhSin

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0

jdoliver Guest

Default Re: Smss.exe is trying to terminate ZClient.exe

Google for smss.exe came up with this. http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/smss.exe.html
    You will have to check to see if its the MS task or a virus. I'm NOT a guru but if its the MS task, then I'd go for a clean uninstall and a clean install.

zaswing Guest

Where is smss.exe? If not in windows\system32 it could be trouble. The message indicates so in a way.
    Which ZA are you running?
    What is the program control setting?

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 04-30-200708:40 PM

jdoliver Guest

Its a standard MS program if in C:\windows\system32, otherwise it might be a trojan or virus.
    You could look at a "free to try" program called Prevx at www.prevx.com which might tell you.

Thread Information