Thread: ZOne AlarmAutomatic updates for WIndows standard security program

elzo Guest

Default ZOne AlarmAutomatic updates for WIndows standard security program

I have disabled the standard windows security on my XP pc as I use ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.337.000.
    Can
    I safely ignore the updates to the Windows security suite Windows that they keep offering me?

Elzo

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0

watcher Guest

Default Re: ZOne AlarmAutomatic updates for WIndows standard security program

Dear elzo:

Are you referring to Windows Live OneCare and do you have it installed on your computer?

WATCHER

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: ZOne AlarmAutomatic updates for WIndows standard security program

elzo, please give us a more complete list of your pc-set-up, especially of your security set-up, plus include versions of them. Whenever posting to ZA it is advisable to give us details of your pc set-up; even of previous software, yes, it helps us to
    to know.

elzo Guest

Default Re: Zone AlarmAutomatic updates for WIndows standard security program

No, I am only referring to updates to the Security Centre that came with WIndowsXP home edition.
    The deatils of my computer set up are at the bottom of the page on my original
    posting question.

watcher Guest

Dear elzo:

I'm still wondering what you mean by updates to the Security Center. This monitors the Windows Firewall(or a 3rd-party firewall such as ZAISS if it is installed and running), which can be disabled, and Automatic Updates, which can also be disabled but then you must remember to check at least weekly for updates to the operating system(Windows XP Home).

To disable the Windows Firewall, go into Control Panel, then click Windows Firewall. Disable it from here. You can disable its service as well in services.msc. Click Start, Run, type services.msc, then click OK. Look for the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing(ICS) service, right click it, click Properties. Under Service status, click Stop if the service is running. Under Startup type, click the down arrow and then click Disabled. Since ZAISS provides firewall protection better than the Windows Firewall, it is best to disable it. Having 2 firewalls running concurrently can cause unpredictable events.

For Automatic Updates, don't disable unless you intend to check manually at least weekly. To disable, go into Control Panel, click System, and from the System Properties tab, click Automatic Updates tab. Enable your preference here and click OK. I have mine turned off. I also have the associated service disabled in services.msc (Automatic Updates). Once a week I check for updates manually and must enable the service to do this(have Startup type=Automatic and Service status=Started). I also have Security Center disabled in services.msc. I don't need a useless monitoring service running when I can check the status of the programs directly just by looking in the Notification Area.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

naivemelody Guest

elzo,
    I believe there is a bit of a misunderstanding of your ideas of your pc. The Windows Security center is not really a security software like ZoneAlarm Security Suite 7.0.337. Your Windows Security center is really a simple basic monitoring feature that displays - 1- if Firewall is on [by default - that will always be Windows own "simple" firewall -until you replace with something like ZA ]>> 2-
    and if "Virus Protection" is on - anti-virus monitoring (of any brand)>>>3-
    and then there is the &quot;Automatic Updates&quot;. Automatic Updates - those updates you are referring to - are really security and other optional updates for your entire Microsoft/Windows pc. They don't really update your Windows Security Center - Microsoft has hundreds of processes that some are often needed to be fixed/patched with security patches or updates for software/programs.<hr>The 'bad guys' try to find 'flaws, security holes or exploits' in everybody's pc (which is by majority - is Microsoft) Microsoft then tries to fix/patch the hole by automatically sending everyone 'automatic updates' ususally every second Tuesday of every month - this is very common and a standard.
    So back to your original question - no
    , you still must continue to download those Microsoft/Windows
    updates to your pc, especially the high priority security updates. You can set it for automatic updates or you can set it to receive notifications; but you will update manually at your convenience. If you choose-manual updates, you have better ability to choose which updates to download.<hr>On your pc, look for a program called &quot; Microsoft Update&quot; this is the main page where you can see the status of all your Microsoft update history plus what needs to be updated - please check - get those high priority security updates downloaded for your protection. The updates for your ZA suite is an entirely different/separate entitiy of it's own - update your anti-spy and anti-virus defintions, too. :8}NaiveMelody NYC 5-14-07~4:05pm e.s.t. - The end of the innocence - Don Henley

elzo Guest

Thanks, naiveMelody.
    That sorts me out.
    My problem is that when I downloaded and installed KB925876 it corrupted the address book of my Outlook express 6.
    I fixed it by deleting the Addrress Book and making a fresh one.
    I cured the problem only by removing KB925876 and then when Microsoft asekd me to custom re-install it, I declined it adn told it not to offer it to me again.
    I have now struck another OE problem-
    when I try to reply to messages (to known friends) sometimes it works and sometimes it crashes, inviting me to send an error message to microsoft.
    I have done this - or refused- more times than i can count.
    The error message means nothing to me, and microsoft neither offer a patch nor refer to sucha
    difficulty on their page,as far as I can see.
    Naively, I wondered if my troubles were being caused by some of their offerings, and thought I might do better without them.
    Obviously not!
    Elzo

Thread Information