Thread: ZoneAlarm wants me to uninstall CA Anit-virus

iainlang Guest

Default ZoneAlarm wants me to uninstall CA Anit-virus

Since version zlsSetup_70_337_000_en.exe, ZoneAlarm
    won't install unless I remove CA anti-virus first.
    Why do I have to do this?
    I'm quite happy with the situation that has existed for the last two to three years.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm wants me to uninstall CA Anit-virus

iainlang, some recent changes in the new version ZA 7 x Free version XP/2000
    -"only", which we ourselves slowly discovered - There is a ZA Security Suite
    hidden underneath the ZA 7x Free. Which the 'phantom' non-functioning Kaspersky av in there (may ?
    conflict with your
    anti-virus plus other functions)
    >>
    Solution - Firstuninstall/delete ZA 7 x
    Free and then install the old version 6.5.737 ZA Free
    of Aug. 31, 2006 - here is the link -

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html
    . -to the Release History page -
    go to 6.5 Branch - and find 6.5.737.000 - to download this version, if successful; your
    system will be working again} - [ later, you may get a ZA program update box - you may not want to automatically update that - this would be an update to the new ZA 7 x Free, again,
    - not again - tell it to remind you in 60 days- repeat and rinse, wait until further developments].<hr>>2nd Alternate Solution - others who wish to upgrade to ZA 7x, on a budget - an alternative to rolling back or staying with ZA 6.5 Free - I would suggest going up a level in security by getting ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware 7.0.337 - at about 14.2 MB it's just a bit more than ZA 6.5 Free plus you get a &quot;real improvement in firewall protection&quot; and a &quot;top rated anti-spyware&quot; -
    for $19.95 for one year of updates - http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...mp;lid=ho_zaas
    . This ZA product has the Operating System Firewall (OS Firewall) which is more advanced than the simple firewall in ZA free versions; in all of the paid versions of ZA products - this the heart of ZA protection - see comparison chart - click left tabs for more info. -
    http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...st2_comparison
    . This a simple to use, less complicated ZA firewall product than ZA suite. I use it myself. With this version, you can use any brand of anti-virus you choose. No worries, no complications. According, to some recent test/reviews - it top rates at #1 or Editor's Choice - see Cnet test/review dated March 19, 2007 - http://reviews.cnet.com/ZoneAlarm_An....html?tag=tool .<hr>3rd Option - You can un-install CA av, then install ZA 7x Free XP; then re-install CA. If you choose this option - please post back results, yes.<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 7-8-07 - Say It Right - Nelly Furtado

iainlang Guest

That still doesn't answer my quetion - WHY am I being asked to uninstall an anti-virus proram which has served me well for some years?

Were you to accept the upgrade to ZASS during install, there would be a conflict between its antivirus component and CA. As Naive melody has explained, unfortunately v 7 preinstalls parts of ZASS without warning even if you decline the offer to upgrade, so maybe it also detects your CA as part of that process..That said, it did not insist on my uninstalling NAV 2007. I had however disabled
    NAV for the install of ZA free. You could try that, it may only be checking running programs.

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 07-10-2007 12:24 AM

Thread Information