Thread: Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool log shows read errors with ZA files...

bloomcounty Guest

Default Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool log shows read errors with ZA files...

From my log for most recent Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool:

->Scan ERROR: resource process://pid:1244 (code 0x0000054F (1359))
    vsmon.exe

->Scan ERROR: resource process://pid:2060 (code 0x0000054F (1359))
    zlclient.exe

->Scan ERROR: resource process://pid:1244 (code 0x0000054F (1359))
    vsmon.exe

Under each listing, I added what Process Explorer says each thing is. So it's a ZoneAlarm thing. Maybe something changed with the newest MSRT that causes ZA to cause these scan errors? I never had these errors show up until in the log until this month's scan.

I use ZA 7.0.302 Free.

Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool log shows read errors with ZA files...

I had similar errors logged in MRT, May 2007, like you never before. I did not check the PIDs, but they could well be the same processes as yours. I also had a couple that refer to specific files (rather than processes), neither of which were in use at the time.
    ->Scan ERROR: resource process://pid:736 (code 0x0000054F (1359))
    ->Scan ERROR: resource process://pid:468 (code 0x0000054F (1359))
    ->Scan ERROR: resource process://pid:468 (code 0x0000054F (1359))
    ->Scan ERROR: resource
    file:
    //C: Program Files\eRightSoft\SUPER\SUPER.exe->(tElock v0.98) (code 0x0000000B (11))
    ->Scan ERROR: resource
    file:
    //C: Program
    Files\DivX\DivX Web Player\npdivx32.dll (code 0x0000000B (11))
    The first three do not occur in safe mode, or in normal mode with ZA turned off, so they only occur if the processes are running.
    There are quite a few posts about similar findings on other forums (google for the error code).
    I don't know why, possibly something odd about the latest version of MRT. We'll see if such logs come up in the next version;
    I don't think they matter, particularly. The important bit comes at the end: no infection found :-).
    The error code 0x0000054F (1359) is described here (but not very informative):http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms681385.aspx

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 05-26-200701:03 AM

bloomcounty Guest

Default Re: Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool log shows read errors with ZA files...

Thanks for the response! I never saw it until now... D'oh!

jarvis Guest

ZA will protect it's own files via the OS Firewall (even the free version will protect itself).

If MRT opens files for Read/Write when scanning them, ZA interprets that as an attempt to modify the file and denies the request. Opening the files for Read/Write might be a time-saver for the writers of MRT so that if an infection is found, it already has the file open for writing so it can attempt to fix it.

bloomcounty Guest

<blockquote><hr>jarvis wrote:
    ZA will protect it's own files via the OS Firewall (even the free version will protect itself).

If MRT opens files for Read/Write when scanning them, ZA interprets that as an attempt to modify the file and denies the request. Opening the files for Read/Write might be a time-saver for the writers of MRT so that if an infection is found, it already has the file open for writing so it can attempt to fix it.
    <hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the post. That makes sense, but only if MS recently (i.e. three months ago) added this feature to MRT -- because prior to three months ago, I was not getting those entries in the log, and I had the same ZA free firewall.

Thread Information