Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smart Defense Advisor not working

ruthie Guest

Default Re: Smart Defense Advisor not working

Hello All,
    Well, I downloaded the 5.5.094 version, did a clean un-install of the older version and re-installed.
    Same problem.
    No MoreInfo in Firewall Alerts.
    I un-installed using the /rm license method, the /clean method, manually deleting leftovers using search, and anything else I could think of.
    Everytime I re-installed, the problem was/is still there.
    I've gotta give this XP credit for endurance.
    In addition to this forum, I've contacted Tech Support at ZoneLabs, and gotten advice of two techs.
    After numerous re-installs, the problem remains.
    When I click on MoreInfo on a Firewall Alert popup, I get a browser page.
    At the bottom it says, Website found, waiting for reply.
    Connecting to fwalerts.zonealarm.com, error page, etc, (not exact, but similar.
    Then the fwalerts.zonealarm.com Error page address shows in the Address box.
    A message is displayed in the body of the page, "Sorry, Smart Defense Advisor cannot service your request at this time".
    I tried typing fwalerts.zonealarm.com in the address box, and hitting Go.
    It re-directs to the Checkpoint Smart Defense Advisor website.
    I just hate it when I can't fix a problem on my computer, but this one may defeat me.
    Has anybody else out there had this problem?
    If so, HELP!
    Thanks for your help,

Ruthie

My guess is that Zone Alarm changed the server and the older versions still use the non-existant server, instead of the latest server.

This is the addrews that works:

http://pralerts.zonelabs.com/pralert...U=10&Mode=1000

Notice it is different fro the fwalerts.zonealarm.com URL.

So maybe the ZA servers did change around and the old data in the older versions can only be updated with the newwer versions of the ZA.

OTOH, doing some googles and using something like Process Explorer or Prio will bring out good results for unknown items.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ruthie Guest

Hi Oldsod,
    Thanks for the idea.
    I'll google and see what I can find.
    You'd think the tech support would have told me, though.
    I asked if the server had changed in my first note to them.
    Thanks again,
    Ruthie

zaswing Guest

A shot in the dark.
    Perhaps fwalerts.zonelabs.com can be remapped to a common IP for prealerts.zonelabs.com in the HOSTS file. Assuming prealerts address is 111.222.333.444, might this work?
    111.222.333.444 fwalerts
    111.222.333.444 prealerts
    I can't recall the address of those two that I saw at home, but only the 4th octet was different. Also I don't know how these hosts, within common domain could be entered. These are partial info:
    http://fwalerts.zonelabs.com/ ...
    http://pralerts.zonelabs.com/ ...
    Is this something ZoneLabs could do on their servers instead? Something along these lines, MAYBE
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300684/

ruthie Guest

Hi zasuiteuser,
    All that technical info is beyond me.
    I got another message from tech support yesterday.
    He told me to uninstall using the \rm license
    on the end of the uninstall cmd.
    I've done that already with no luck.
    I also discovered one other person with the same error message in the General Forum yesterday.
    At least I'm not the only one.
    This is an eMachine from Gateway, only 7 months old.
    ZA doesn't have any compatibility issues with eMachines does it?

Thanks,
    Ruthie

Hi Ruthie

eMachines and the ZA are okay together. ZA works on any kind of PC with all different types of hardware.

By any chance are there other security applications that have some form of as blocking or cookie blocker or IE protection or spy site blocking or parental controls or some form of web content filtering (for javascripts, activX, etc) or IP blockers? What kind of antivirus and antispy are you using and which version?

Open the WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\host file and see if there are entries past the 127.0.0.1 localhost.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ruthie Guest

Hi Oldsod,
    There is no entry under the 127.0.0.1
    Local Host entry.
    I have another question.
    When I bought a new subscription, I was given a license key.
    Do they give a new key only for the latest version, or should using it in a 5x version be okay?
    I've checked my order history on the site, and I paid for ZoneAlarmPro, but it doesn't give a version number.
    Also, do the license keys ever get corrupted so that you need a replacement?
    Thanks for the trouble.
    Ruthie

Hi Ruthie

Your ZA key or license has been renewed and you are entitled to the latest version or any of the ZA Pro versions. The license it self is not version dependant, but allows you to download and update the ZA. The renewal of your license entitles you to upgrades. If you want to use the latest version, by all means then do so.

There are advantages to upgrade to the latest ZA Pro:

a. new exploits have developed in the short time since 5.5 was released and the newer versions handle these exploits, whereas the older versions do not.

b. the newer versions have an antispy scanner built in to help fight spyware and malware (although not the best scanner, but it does help and with specific malware)

c. spy site blocker has appeared and often bad sites that you may visit are blocked off and if malware tried to reports to sites it in rurn gets blocked off

d. improvements in the Triple Defense Firewall to prevent the latest exploits from controlling the OS and detouring the usual firewall controls to gain illicit outbound access

e. the OSFirewall has been improved. Newer and better controls for the activeX installs, the Internet Explorer's home page & search engine are protected, new startups and such are helping to prevent malware from attempting to change or control the IE and the OS.

On the other hand, since you are using the older version and have not updated or wanted to update, you could have simply skipped the renewals and saved your money. The ZA Pro 5.1 or 5.5 will work perfectly fine without the license renewals- it just will not receive any spyscanner updates or version upgrades (which is what you are doing now). My own ZAPro license has expired and I have not renewed- it still works perfect. It is just that upgrades are not possible without a license renewal.

Licenses never get corrupted, as far as I know. But the ZA license will never show the version - it is assumed you would be using the latest version. However, any previous ZA Pro version can be used with your renewed license, as you are doing now.

Your license seems ok and does not need a replacement. If you want to upgrade to the latest, then do so. If you will continue to use the ZAPro 5 series and not want any upgrades, then do not renew- just let the license expire and the ZA will still work perectly, forever.

Cheers,
    Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ruthie Guest

Hello again,
    Thanks for all the information.
    I think I'll stick with this 5.5 version.
    It's very smooth, and responsive, (except for the Internet Alerts page).
    I prefer to use standalone programs for security.
    Easier to manage.
    I've never gotten a virus, or an infection in the 5 years since I started on the computer.
    I'm very security conscious, and this 67 year old grandma is not about to click on links indiscriminately, or surf the dark corners of the net.

I've been using Spybot S & D, AdawareSE, and EZ Trust Anti virus, all up to date.
    They never find more than a few tracking cookies, because I forgot to use the Cache cleaner before scanning.
    So, I'm happy with what I've got.
    I'm so frustrated about that fwalerts error page, because I bought the new license specifically for that feature.
    I don't use it often, but when I want to, I'd like it to function.

Thanks again for all the help.
    Ruthie

Hi Ruthie

I understand perfectly. There are tools to help with different processes on the PC (when there is some alert) and doing a whosis or IP lookup can be just as helpful.

Process Explorere show lots of details about running applications and their dlls involved.

AutoRuns is a good tool for doing some checking up on other things.

Both are free and from microsoft and are On-demand use only

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys.../Autoruns.mspx

I admire your 5 year free of infection record and sensibile use of the PC. I wish I would hear this from the other users on this forum more often.

I agree the fwalerts should be working properly. I wish I could fix it for you. I agree that when you want to use it, it should be available for you, at all times.

If I could help more I will.

Best regards,

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information