Thread: 800 firewall incoming blocks to same port in 10 minutes

johnnnn Guest

Default 800 firewall incoming blocks to same port in 10 minutes

Hello

Not that Im particularly paranoid but... on Friday 13th I noticed a lot of unusual incoming blocks in my firewall log. There were approx 800 in the space of 10 minutes. 95% of these blocks involved Different IPs from all geographic regions, and all were targeting the same port on my PC. I forget the port number, but it was a port in the dynamic block range. There was nothing unusual running on my PC, and no viruses or spyware or servers. All my ports show as Stealth. Also nothing showed up in Netstat.

Does anyone have any ideas about these access attempts?

Thanks, John

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: 800 firewall incoming blocks to same port in 10 minutes

Your IP is dynamic with constant changes and have just acquired a new IP that was used by another person? They may have done P2P or different connectiosn and the previous servers/pc are still attempting to contact that previous owner of your new IP.

A good solution is a hardware firewall in front of the PC. The hardware firewall would drop all of these unwanted connections and your intrusions would drop to zero.

It would help to check your logs and show some IP's and the protcol involved (http or ftp, TCP, UDP, or ICMP) and the port(s) involved. Much more definite information to go by is better.

Cheers,

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

johnnnn Guest

Ah I didn t think of that. They were probably attempting to connect with the previous owner of the IP. I have wireless broadband, but my IP changes maybe once a day. I appreciate I didn t give much detail. I think the traffic was UDP, but I can t be certain. I don t archive the log, so I m going by memory.

Thanks for that, I m sure you re right.

John

Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information