Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart Defense Advisor not working

ruthie Guest

Default Smart Defense Advisor not working

I'm using ZAP 5.1.033.000 on WinXPSP2.
    A simple firewall is my preference.
    Lately, when I click on MoreInfo inside the Alert popup, I get the fwalerts.zonealarm.com page with an error. "Sorry, Smart Defense Advisor is unable to service your request at this time."
    Is the website down, or has this service been dropped?
    I've tried resetting the Data Base.
    I'd appreciate your feedback.
    Thanks,
    Ruthie

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:5.x
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Smart Defense Advisor not working

Ruthie,
    What browser are you using? It failed for me as well.
    By way of experiment, could you try this link please. It's for specific LinkScanner module which I just set to "?" in order to trigger the alert.

http://pralerts.zonelabs.com/pranaly...p;tab=overview

I use ZASS 6.1. I've made lots of changes to my computer since last use of Smart Advisor so I don't know which part failed, but it did. I tried the LinkScanner trigger, it didn't work. I use Opera.
    Then I just opened IE and didn't really use it. Clicking Smart Advisor activated Opera and took me immediately to the above link.

As you see I have no answer but just a hunch that browsers other than IE might not work now for some reason. Of course if you answer that you use IE, then it'll be a different story.

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 07-18-2007 11:22 PM

ruthie Guest

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm using IE6Sp1.
    Smart Defense Advisor is still not working for Internet Alerts.
    It does work for most Program Alerts.
    It won't go to the fwalerts site, except to show that error page, sorry, and all that.
    It did work with that link you posted, even the Hacker ID.
    I let my subscription run out when I used 98SE, and stayed with 4.5.594 for a couple years.
    I'm using XPSP2 now, so I bought a new subscription and downloaded the 5.1.033 last week.
    I overinstalled it, and it went smoothly, except that the fwalerts page gives the error page instead of the Advisor. I was getting everything but Hacker ID with the 4x version, after the subscription ran out.
    XP has me a bit antsy, with so many requests to access the internet, and I'd really like to have that Smart Defense Advisor for a while, to see where they connect to.
    Then I'll probably turn alerts off like I did with the other one.
    If it's not working for you either, I guess the site is just having problems, lots, apparently.
    Thanks again.
    Ruthie

Do a clean unisntall an duse the ZAPro 5.5094.000 instead of the 5.1 (less bugs, runs smooth as silk, and has the same features= no antispy scanner or additional "bloat")

Download from here>

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...55_094_000.exe

or check out the release page of the ZA Pro versions to see the differences.

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html

I use the ZA Pro versiion 5.5 myself. It was my first paid ZA and still is my favorite of all the paid versions.

Oh yes , how to do the clean unintstall method:

http://www.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/P...n_install.html

BUT I add this to the Zone Alarm inf:

"Open the Zone Alarm and disable the "Load Zone Alarm .. at startup" in the Preferences of the Overview. Then reboot."

Because if the ZA is still running when the uninstall is attempted, it can cause problems . So stopping the ZA completely first is the first step and then next do the uninstallation.

Cheers,

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 07-19-2007 08:01 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ruthie Guest

Thanks for the advice.
    So far, I've reset the Database, no joy.
    Today, I did a clean uninstall and re-installed, no joy.
    I'm getting the Advisor when I get Program Alerts, most of the time.
    Not always.
    Still no luck with Firewall Alerts.
    When I click More Info, all I get is the fwalerts.zonealarm.com/error/error page/etc.
    The message is "Sorry, Smart Defense Advisor cannot service your request at this time."
    I think I'm ready to try the 5.5.094.
    I must have gotten a corrupted download.
    I'll let you all know the results.
    Thanks again,
    Ruthie

Some further ideas...

is the IE set as the default browser?

is there another security application with cookie or spy site blocking or ad blocking or or some form of internet filtering (such as by the AV or AS)?

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ruthie Guest

Hello again, Oldsod,
    IE is set as the Default browser.
    No other security or privacy programs run in the background.
    I have always used ZAP for managing Cookies, Ad and
    Popup blocking and Mobile Code control.
    I always allow everything on the ZA website and Smart Defense Advisor pages, also.
    I checked IE privacy and security settings, and they're all unchanged.
    There's nothing in the Hosts file.
    EZTrust AV doesn't have any security settings.
    I did disable it before I installed.

I must have gotten a bad download.
    It wouldn't be the first time that's happened with XP.
    I'm beginning to get nostalgic about my good old 98SE again.
    Never had this kind of trouble with it.
    Thanks again for the help.
    Ruthie

Hi Ruthie

Please do not use any download managers or accelerators. They will always corrupt the ZA installer and the ZA installation will then fail.

It is usually recommended to use the IE for the downloading, but I personally have never had any issue with other browsers. XP shouldn't be an issue.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

zaswing Guest

Oldsod, if this is off-topic or too irrelevant, please delete. I'm posting only because it might shed some light on things, but it's all very confusing while using ZA-Free 6.1 on XP.

(1) Firewall alerts: definitely cannot get to smart advice. All I get is the local file - see point (2)

(2) Program alerts: are being redirected.
    First, it wants to do file://localhost/C:/DOCUME~1/owner/LOCALS~1/Temp//zlt~00.html. No I do not redirect it to loopback. This makes no sense at all.
    Then, if I open IE, and just let it sit there, I get this in Opera:
    --------------
    ""This document you requested has moved temporarily.

It's now at http://pralerts.zonelabs.com/pranaly...p;tab=overview.
    HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 02:09:25 GMT Server: Apache/1.3.33 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.24 OpenSSL/0.9.7d Location: http://pralerts.zonelabs.com/pranaly...p;tab=overview Keep-Alive: timeout=15 Connection: Keep-Alive Transfer-Encoding: chunked Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
    Moved Temporarily
    The document has moved here.

Additionally, a 302 Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Apache/1.3.33 Server at fwalerts.zonelabs.com Port 80"
    -------------

Finally, when I click on the redirection, SmartAdvisor comes up. All good, all intact, all 4 tabs plus a blurb to buy ZA-Pro.

Ah! the good old 5.5.094 days
    As I said before, I have no need to debug. It's just an attempt to help here.

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 07-19-2007 11:28 PM

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 07-19-2007 11:30 PM

Hi

I'm surprised the ZA Free has even a Smart Advisor for Alerts. I had thought that was part of the subscription service.

OK I'll admit it- I never use the Smart Defense Advisor. Google is my pal and the Process Explorer/AutoRuns are my other friends. Plus I know what is always happening in the PC via the regular check-ups in the Task Manager.

So I had to find out and try it after all. So it is a good thing that zasuiteuser posted again! Because I found out the ZA AS 6.1.744.001 did go to ..

http://pralerts.zonelabs.com/pralert...U=10&Mode=1000

in the PC's default browser (the windows Internet Explorer 7) and it worked ONLY after hitting the Allow button in the Alert. And it just froze when the Allow (and I suspect the Deny as well) was if it is not used. It does seem that a personal decision is made first and then the ZA will use the second opinion. But I could be wrong. Oh well the database reset to get the Alerts started was useful after all- the ZA did need a good cleaning anyways.

Cheers,
    Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 07-20-2007 03:40 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information