Thread: Blue Screen of Death

elvisgump Guest

Default Blue Screen of Death

Hi, I'm in **bleep**.

I decided to start using Zone Alarm on my desktop PC after using it for a year on my laptop with no problems.

I uninstalled all my old McAfee stuff which was no easy feat and now that I've installed the latest ZA installer (just downloaded from the site today!) I'm getting the BSOD.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0X81247DDE, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0X80521DD1)

This is the second time I've tried to install ZA only to have to go backward via System Restore to keep the computer from endlessly rebooting.

What gives?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

elvisgump Guest

Default Re: Blue Screen of Death

I'm able to get back into my PC via Safe Mode now. My version number is 7.0.362.000

I also seem to be able to launch and run Zone Alarm from within Safe Mode, but restarting dumps me back to the BSOD.

Hi!most probably you are running a tool (security related?) that has a conflict with ZASS.One way to check it is to run your system selectively (i.e. only ZA and windows) to see if you still have the BSOD.This way:This way:1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computerHow does it work? Still BSOD?
    NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.Another simple way to check incompatibilities at boot is to start in SAFE MODE, open manually ZASS and UNcheck "Load ZA.... at startup" (overview --> preferences). Then boot in normal mode and run ZASS manually. Do you get the BSOD? If not, there is something at boot conflicting with ZASS.Hope this helps.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

elvisgump Guest

I did all those steps and I again get the BSOD but this time with a warning that :

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: iomdisk.sys

The driver is attempting to access memory beyond the end if the allocation.

Then there's the standard if you've seen this screen before and the tech info is

*** STOP: 0x000000D6 (0x836 55008, 0x00000000, 0xF777FB58, 0x00000000)

*** iomdisk.sys - Address F777FB58 base at F777F000, DateStamp3d766897

elvisgump Guest

Removing the iomdisk.sys files and unistalling Iomega stuff first which didn't nuke the iomdisk.sys files in the first place has produced a worse result. Now I can't get into Windows in any mode. I get a BSOD with the error to run CHKDSK though how I'm supposed to do this now that I can't get it to restart in any fashion without BSOD I don't know.

the tech error is now

*** STOP: 0x0000007B, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

This is seriously making me rethink removing Zone Alarm from all my other computers.

Hi!no idea what is happening there... more conflicts one on top of the other...Boot in SAFE MODE and remove ZASS.You can always contact ZA technical support at: www.zonelabs.com/tsform Cheers,Fax

elvisgump Guest

I CAN'T boot even into Safe Mode now. I don't know what has gone wrong, but everything was fine before I tried to install Zone Alarm.

Hi!not even able to log in SAFE MODE is a really bad indication, most likely a corrupted OS.I can hardly beleive this is due to ZASS. I am not sure what to suggest at this stage, sorry. Try to create a bartPE boot CD (with another system) to have access to your damaged PC and at least trying to recover impostant archives...Look here:http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/Cheers,Fax

elvisgump Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi!
    not even able to log in SAFE MODE is a really bad indication, most likely a corrupted OS.
    I can hardly beleive this is due to ZASS.

This computer was running fine until i installed Zone Alarm. I have to say that for all the aggravation and baiting and switching on prices that McAfee and Norton have given me over the years their software never did this. I'm not sure I will ever try to install Zone Alarm again.

I am not sure what to suggest at this stage, sorry. Try to create a bartPE boot CD (with another system) to have access to your damaged PC and at least trying to recover impostant archives...

Look here:
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Cheers,
    Fax

<hr></blockquote>

I'll try that. I'm just hoping I don't loose all my files at this point.

Thread Information