Thread: New Network Alert

mitty Guest

Default New Network Alert

Hello,
    I have just uninstalled Norton Interent Security 2007 from my new HP laptop running Vista Home Premium, and have successfully installed ZoneAlarm Security Suite
    for Vista.
    CCleaner was also downloaded and run, although initially it did not work until I figured out that I had to run the programme in Administrator mode !
    Today ZASS said that it had found a "New Network" on my system and gave the IP address as:
    10.1.1.0/255.255.255.0
    I have added this to the Internet Zone but could someone please tell me if this a "legitimate" network or is it something to be concerned about ?
    I have not knowingly installed any other programmes or systems.
    Also, since these changes, my laptop will not shut down automatically. It just hangs there until I depress the "On" button for several seconds.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mitty.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: New Network Alert

First CCleaner is not enough to remove the Norton/Symantec product. It will miss many files and drivers and folders and their registyry keys and many keys remaining just from the add/remove uninstall itself.

I recommend usimg the proper cleanup tool from symantec to get rid of these.

Download and run this tool:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...&osv=&osv_lvl=

As for the hanging of the shutdown, that may or may not be related to you placing your router as Internet Zone. Which it is not. Your router is Trusted Zone. Any IP that falls within the 10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255 range is considered always to be a private network and never the actual Internet. The hard shut downs maybe caused by something other than the network rating.

Cheers,
    Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

thingie Guest

Default symantec uninstall

Actually, unless they have updated their online uninstall engine (which I doubt they have) The symantec one won't get everything out, either. However, I had norton, and not symantec, and I do believe that the SIS version has a smaller footprint than the Norton one does. After running both the online uninstall and the home one just to make sure, I went through my registry and found no less than about fifty four related keys littered throughout the system. In addition, after running CCleaner for the recommended three times or so, windows security center still recognized symantec as a running antivirus program, and was conflicting with my new install of the better AV software that I had gotten.

Needless to say, (and because I was having other problems) I wiped my disk and did a fresh install of the OS. IMO, that is really the only way to truly get rid of anything installed on your system by symantec, (which is why I consider their products to be malware.)

I have spoken with other people who have had the same problems. If you are willing to live with having leftover stuff in your registry from them, then it is no big deal, however.

mitty Guest

Thank you so much for replying and I have now followed your advice and placed my router into the Trusted Zone.
    The Symantec Removal Tool has also been run, as well as CCleaner, and I can see no sign of any Symantec product remaining.
    The Vista Security Panel however still refers to " Norton Anti-Virus " as being up to date, and it also claims that the Norton Firewall is still on the system, but turned off.
    I guess that Norton is deeply embedded within my HP laptop's psyche, but ZoneAlarm is working fine - and that's what matters.
    The problems with the shut down process also seem to have resolved themselves.
    Thanks again.
    Cheers,
    Mitty.

mitty Guest

Default Re: symantec uninstall

Thanks for your reply.
    Having used the Symantec Removal Tool and CCleaner I can see no obvious sign of any Symantec product remaining on my system, but like you, my ( Vista ) Security Centre reports that both Norton Anti-Virus and the Norton Firewall are still present.
    ZoneAlarm is working fine however, so I guess that there is no conflict between any software.
    Cheers,

Mitty.

The WMI (windows management instrumentation service) is in error. It has the old symantec information still stored and the OS has not done the correct changes to see the new ZA. Even though the Norton is gone, windows has not accepted that fact yet.

It may go away by itself and correct itself after a while. Just may take a few startups or a few weeks. Sometimes turning off the WMI in the services and running for a few days/reboots/startups and then restarting it will do the trick.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information