Thread: Registry areas "access denied" by True Vector

thwarter Guest

Default Registry areas "access denied" by True Vector

XP Pro (fully updated except for KB928365 & KB928366), ZoneAlarm Pro (very latest version, updated)
    I've had multiple problems for quite a while; such as not being able to migrate from Windows Update to Microsoft Update, update failures, Office 2007 Ultimate CD#2 problems, and much more. True Vector is somehow keeping my admin account, the one I used to Install XP Pro with and everything else, is causing "access denied" errors when some areas of the registry need modification. Even if I first tell ZAP to unload itself, the True Vector engine is still running and causing access denied problems. I have EVERYthing turned off in ZAP except for the firewall itself. Still, I have to boot into safe mode and disable the true vector service to keep from getting these access denied errors when trying to install SOME Microsoft updates or products, or even just trying to use MSCONFIG or REGEDIT to manually edit startups.
    I don't want ZAP to mess with my registry at all. I just want a firewall, and that is all. How can I make True Vector stop trying to protect the registry?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: Registry areas "access denied" by True Vector

Hi!this sounds like a corruption of the ZAPRO registry. Have you tried to reset it?See here how to do it: http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...rruptlogs.htmlCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

thwarter Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi!

this sounds like a corruption of the ZAPRO registry.
    Have you tried to reset it?

See here how to do it: http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...rruptlogs.html

Cheers,
    Fax
    <hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, it didn't help. ZA Tech Support is working with me now, as is Microsoft simultaniously due to the damages caused to the system when some updates and product installs terminated unexpectantly because of registry permission denials that occur only when the True Vector service is running.

I require that when I shut down ZAP that it does what it says it will do: &quot;Shutdown ZoneAlarm Pro&quot;, of which True Vector is a fundamental part of and which needs to obey that option when it is selected. I don't mind that I must schedule updates when using ZAP and not let things happen automatically, but I do mind that it doesn't completely shut down and now Microsoft has had to become involved with resultant system damages caused by registry permission issues that only exist if the True Vector service is running. If this isn't possible then I need to know, I'll move to an external box to do firewall and just give up on ZAP.

Hi!thank you for posting back and detail your issue. Please let us know if ZA technical support will find a solution to your problem.My feeling is that you are experiencing some corruption of OS core files.
    Cheers,Fax

thwarter Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi!
    thank you for posting back and detail your issue.
    Please let us know if ZA technical support will find a solution to your problem.

My feeling is that you are experiencing some corruption of OS core files.

Cheers,
    Fax
    <hr></blockquote>

Here is how I can duplicate the core registry permissions issue caused by the True Vector service.
    Right-click ZAP tray icon, shut down ZAP that way.
    Boot into Safe Mode
    Use MSConfig to temporarily turn something off and exit MSConfig
    Reboot normally. Your should get the message from MSConfig saying the registry had been changed
    Tic the option for MSConfig not to tell you again that it was changed
    Reboot normally again
    I get the message from MSConfig again. Every normal reboot. You can t disable the notification.
    Go into Regedit and try to delete the MSConfig startup entry (HKLM RUN)
    I get a permission denied message
    Reboot into safe mode
    Disable the True Vector service
    Reboot normally
    Use Regedit to delete the MSConfig startup. This time I don t get a permission denied message

That s the core problem. Apparently, SOME (but not all) Microsoft product installations (such as CD#2 of MS Office 2007 Ultimate) runs into True Vector permission denial issues. For me, it simply would not install if True Vector was running, even if ZAP was supposedly shut down. Worse, my system got damaged in the process. When I turned off True Vector, via safe mode reboot, it finally installed on the very 1st attempt, but the system damage was permanent (and that s why Microsoft has a case open).

Now, it turns out that the permission denied errors don t cause anything in the way of system generated errors when an update fails via Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Automatic Update. I just get silent failures and keep getting prompted to install the update again. But if I get the updates that fail and run them locally then the error messages appear (yes, showing system damages) but the real cause doesn t appear unless I use Registry Monitor where I see, yep, permission denied errors but only if True Vector is active. The failures are permanent unless (1) True Vector is NOT running on the next install attempt and (2) the install doesn t trigger an already damaged section of the OS. In other words, I can make SOME install problems go away simply by turning off True Vector in safe mode.

So, Microsoft is quite interested because somehow some rarely used OS areas got corrupted, keeping SOME updates from installing. They have been silent for the last 48 hours, digesting some screen shots they asked for. ZAP tech support is not yet addressing the root problem, but almost understands what the root problem is and they are at least corresponding with me on this issue. All I want is for the True Vector service, the core underpinnings of ZAP, to do what it s supposed to do when I use the tray icon to shut down ZAP the True Vector service should also shut down because it IS the core of ZAP!

Hi!Not sure I understand what you are trying to do...You get permission denied from whom? OS or ZA?Everything very confusing... Right-click ZAP tray icon, shut down ZAP that way.
    Boot into Safe ModeDon't understand why you shutdown ZAP, in SAFE MODE truevector does not work with or without ZAP in the tray.Let start from basic...ZA OS firewall watch for RUN key changes, if a program is not SUPER TRUSTED (three bars) ZAPRO will prompt you to allow or deny a change.In normal mode and with ZLclient running, you should get a pop-up from ZA. Do you get this pop-up?If not, your have strange permission in program control or ZA database is corrupted.MS installation and updates will happen in normal mode, I have installed OFFICE 2007 and the like without any denied permission but ZA prompts to allow a run key to be modified. So, I can't replicate your issue....Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 09-14-2007 12:02 PM

In Regedit, when you get a permission denied, have you tried in left pane, right click on the key, click permissions, give yourself full control? (I assume you are logged in on an account with admin rights).

thwarter Guest

Sorry for the long pause, and thanks for the comments. To my question of if the True Vector engine can be shut down when the ZAP tray icon is right-clicked and the option &quot;Shutdown ZoneAlarm Pro&quot; is selected, ZA Support in part answered:
    &quot;I understand that you want to know if there is a way to stop ZoneAlarm Pro from protecting your system completely when you turn it off. The only feature of ZoneAlarm that will continue running is the OS Firewall. To turn this off, go to Program Control -&gt; Main and click on the Custom button under the Program Control box. Here, choose the OSFirewall tab and remove the check from Enable OSFirewall and hit OK. Note that to finish this, you will need to restart your computer.&quot;

While in ZAP to perform the above quoted instructions it probably wouldn't hurt to also go into Overview|Preferences and un-checking &quot;Load ZoneAlarm Pro at startup&quot;. So, it is a 3 step process to shutting down ZAP without having to boot into safe mode to disable the True Vector service.
    1) Turn off the OS Firewall and disable ZAP from loading at boot. Exit the ZAP Control Center
    2) Right-click the ZAP tray icon ans select &quot;Shutdown ZoneAlarm Pro&quot; and then click &quot;Yes&quot;. Reboot.
    3) Do installations. Reboot. Run ZAP, enable the OS Firewall, enable &quot;Load ZoneAlarm Pro at startup&quot;.

While the True Vector service may still be running after the reboot the prior disabling of the OS Firewall still assures that registry permissions will not be denied to installation programs that use files never given a Super Trust Level before ZAP was shut down. So this would seem to be the proper way to disable the firewall before installing things that might react badly to unexpected errors cause by denial of registry permissions. That's the solution to the issue.

Thread Information