Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows explorer repeated alert

mrblibblob Guest

Default windows explorer repeated alert

I have XP pro with 4 different accounts.
    When I log into my account ZA security suite takes several minutes to start (Z icon appearing in lower rhs of screen)
    If another account is then selected ZA will not start in that account.I then have to return to my account and will see the following alert:

"Windows explorer is trying to launch c:\program files\zonelabs\zonealarm\zlclient.exe, or use another program to gain access to privileged resources"
    Application: explorer.exe

I click allow and tick "apply this setting..."

This happens every start-up, if the second user attempts to open a program the pc will sit there until my account is opened and the security alert acknowledged.
    If I open up MSCONFIG I notice that there are two entries in startup (startup item) for zlclient.Command and Location descriptions are exactly the same.I have tried unticking the second but no difference on the subsequent start-up.

Help! Any ideas?
    Thank you.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: windows explorer repeated alert

Hi,Welcome to the Forum!I am very sorry you are having problems with ZA and hopefully I will be able to find a solution for you.PLEASE try the following, if you are interested, but remember you will LOSE your CUSTOMIZATIONS.This will bring the firewall back to the original settings.I think is your Zone Alarm database has gotten corrupt and does not remember your Zones settings. Reset your database and see if that will fix it. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode.
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4. Reboot into the normal mode.

How Do I Boot Into Safe Mode?

http://www.laplink.com/support/kb/article.asp?ID=102

PLEASE keep me posted on your results, Thanks.

SlyFox

"Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

mrblibblob Guest

Thanks for the reply SlyFox.

I had already deleted everything in the internet log folder, and saved it in another folder.I have tried again, just deleting the files you mentioned, I even emptied them from the recycle bin while still in safe mode but to no avail.
    Could this mean a fresh ZASS install?
    Thanks.

Hi,I was searching for a solution and came up with the following, PLEASE let me know if this helps you or not. If not you may need to reinstall ZA.Re: Lost ability to "remember this next time"

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=39629

SlyFox

mrblibblob Guest

SlyFox,
    Thanks for your reply.I had a look in program control, main,custom, os firewall: Enable os firewall ticked and -- already in all the boxes.

For some troubleshooting, create a new account, reboot the computer, log onto the new account and see if the same thing happens.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

mrblibblob Guest

Hi Hoov,

I set up a new user account, unfortunately I could not log into it properly,just got a plain background (no icons)and the startup sound.I tried cont,alt del to log out but that just hung up the pc.
    I then re-activated the guest account - but same scenario as before, i.e. that account locking until alarm notification accepted in my account.
    Hope this helps....
    Thanks.

Have you done any scans of your system with a different malware scanner like AdAware or Spybot?
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

mrblibblob Guest

Yes,
    have got spybot, ad-aware and spyware blaster, all regularly updated. Could try scanning again, perhaps in safe mode?

Hi,May I suggest the following PLEASE?

PLEASE go to the following site and download Ewido. Here is the link and the instructions. PLEASE keep me updated on your results. If you prefer not to download the program, they give you an option to complete a FREE online scan. Your choice!

http://www.ewido.net/en/

After the installaton, search for updates and download any available. Start your computer in safe mode , open Ewido,press scanner, complete system scan, fix anything that is found, next run a full virus scan also fix any problems you have. Restart your computer normally and run some more scans with Ewido and your virus scanner, to make sure your clean. If after the second round of scans the trojan still exist we will have to turn off system restore , go back into safe mode again going through the same procedure as before but see if this works first.

If You have anything NASTY installed on your computer this site will find it and remove it for you, unless it is something that they can not fix, but let's hope that is not the case here.

SlyFox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information