Thread: Problem with add/remove feature of control panel after unistallation of Z.A 7.0.362.

vangelis Guest

Default Problem with add/remove feature of control panel after unistallation of Z.A 7.0.362.

After uninstalling Zone Alarm from the control panel with add/remove programs and restart my computer as i promt to, the add/remove panel was not working properly.> I can see in the ''add/remove panel'', half of my programs and the programs that are still there, haven't any add/remove button.> The True Vector Service was running and stopping, running and stoping all the time. Finally i stop the service by deleting vsmon.exe manually.> I install again Zone Alarm but i have the same problem, with control panel of Windows.
    I read a post from WATCHER, that says to use system restore for that problem.
    I used system restore but the result was a message at the end of the restoring process that says ''System Restore Not Succesfull'' and no file has been changed. So the problem remains the same.
    Does anybody

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

watcher Guest

Default Re: Problem with add/remove feature of control panel after unistallation of Z.A 7.0.362.

Dear vangelis:

You are quoting me out of context. If I recall correctly, the person I recommended this action to was missing programs in the Add or Remove Programs applet AND had no backup for the C: drive. The program list found in this applet is located in the Registry so if the programs are missing here, that means Registry damage or corruption. Damage if caused by malware or a remote hacker and corruption if caused by accident. A restore point contains the Registry info necessary to restore it to an earlier time, hopefully prior to the event which caused this problem, whatever that might be. It is uselesss if the restore point was created after the event that caused your problem. The frustrating part is that sometimes a person is not aware of the problem until well after the event, which caused it, occurred. Note that Windows Backup can back up the Registry(called the System State) as well as Registry editors such as regedit.

Please see if you have other restore points saved in System Restore and keep going back in time until you can restore your Registry. Note that any programs installed after the restore point was created will have to be reinstalled again. If you have no other restore points and no backup drive images to restore from, you will have to reinstall the operating system and start from scratch. I hope you do not have to do that as that is a long, long process, especially with the 100+ Windows updates since SP2 came out.

Hope this helps and if anyone has a solution to this problem other than what I have given, please post it for vangelis.

WATCHER

vangelis Guest

Default Re: Problem with add/remove feature of control panel after unistallation of Z.A 7.0.362.

Dear WATCHER,
    I have about 10 restore points, before the event occured. Most of them don't work and
    I don't know why. But I'll try all of them to avoid reinstallation.
    Do you know why Zone Alarm corrupts registry entries during incorrect
    uninstallation?
    Thank you for your immediate response,Vangelis

watcher Guest

Dear vangelis:

I'm not so sure ZAfree is the culprit. Valid programs put entries in the HKLM\SOFTWARE subkey during installation and the program list found in Add or Remove Programs is found in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Uninstall. I have not seen any posts where any version of ZA caused the Registry corruption you mention. However, if you had some malware resident on your system, that is another story.

Hopefully, someone out there may have a solution for you.

WATCHER

Vangelis,
    If one or more of your restore points don't work, then it is highly likely that one or other has become corrupted. As they work like links in a chain, any restore point earlier than the corrupted one will not work either. Your only realistic
    option is to turn off system restore (which will delete all your restore points, but as they don't work anyway...) restart your PC and re-enable system restore, when a new restore point will be created.
    As far as uninstalling ZA is concerned, my suggestion is to reinstall it temporarily, then
    in start/programs/ZoneAlarm, right click on the shortcut for the uninstall, click properties, change the target line by adding a space, then /clean, so it reads"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean2. Now open ZA, in overview, preferences tab, uncheck
    load zonealarm
    at startup.3. Right click on the ZA icon in the system tray, click shut down Zone Alarm.4. Restart your PC.5. Uninstall ZoneAlarm using the uninstall short cut in start/programs/ZoneAlarm, instead of ussing Add/remove.6. Restart your PC.
    That will completely remove Zone Alarm.
    Then if you wanr ir back, reinstall as normal.

vangelis Guest

I think
    this
    works. After Shut Down System Restore > Restart > and Turn On Restore, I tried to
    install
    another program like Noise Ninja (removes noise from images) to see what happens in the control panel. I also did the thinks that you said
    " Uninstall ZoneAlarm and install it again".The result was that the only program with correct functions in the add/remove control panel was Noise Ninja (the program that was installed after all the above suggested actions). A remove button, all the dates that appear, the frequency of using this program etc. So I realise that every new program that is install from now on, work correct in the control panel. All the older programs that were installed before the problem occures, still have corrupted entries in the control panel.
    I wish to thank Watcher and JRosenfeld, for your usefull advices at my problem.

If programs will not uninstall through add/remove but instead give an error, it means that the uninstall information in the registry has got corrupted.The easiest way to correct that is to download the Windows installer clean up utility:
    You can read about it and download it from
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
    After installing it, open it. Highlight the entries that correspond to the programs for which add/remove gives an error (look carefully, there may be more than one for any given program), click OK. This does not uninstall those programs, but removes the install/uninstall information in the registry.
    Now reinstall the program(s) over the top of the existing installation. That writes the install/uninstall information back correctly into the registry, and if you wish to uninstall, add/remove should now work.
    If you don't wish to uninstall, you may need to re apply any updates to those programs that you had previously added..

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 11-14-2007 01:26 AM

Thread Information