Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AOL Security Popup

imfrmars Guest

Default AOL Security Popup

Help! I do NOT have or want AOL software on my computer but I keep getting a security pop up. How can I disable it? I got a notice from ZA asking if I want to block it and I said yes and remember the setting but it keeps coming back.
    Thank you

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: AOL Security Popup

Hi,Welcome to the Forum!Did you ever had AOL installed on your computer in the past or perhaps some one else installed it on your computer? PLEASE complete the following, use the Search feature on your computer and see what comes up, as there is a Registry File that has AOL files on it, causing your problems.SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

3. Default Re: AOL Security Popup

No the only program from aol is aim.

imfrmars Guest

Thank you. I found AOL in my registry. I have no idea how it got installed on my computer. This is a laptop. I took the laptop with me when I was away overnight and used the hotel's wireless unsecure network, my problems started when I got home.
    I have a firewall, ad aware, spy bot etc installed plus counter spy.I have a computer tech coming to my home tomorrow to fix a problem that ATT ISP caused on my desktop
    so I will have him take AOL out of my registry on this one. I have been warned never to touch the registry. I thank you so much for your help!

Hi,YOU are VERY WELCOME!Thank you very much for posting back and I am Very Happy your issue has been solved.Have a GREAT WEEKEND!SlyFox

6. Default Re: AOL Security Popup

I just know what the problem is. It hasn't been fixed yet . Thanks for your help, much appreciated. I am anxiously awaiting 11 AM when my guru will be here! I will keep you posted. Thanks Again!

Hi,You are Welcome.YES, PLEASE keep me posted on your results from the Guru who will be checking out your computer, as I would like to know exactly what was found, etc., if you don't mind posting it,THANKS.If I don't hear from you until Monday, have a Great Weekend!SlyFox

8. Default Re: AOL Security Popup

It was an AOL problem. He didn't write down the file name but I am expecting a call from them and I will get the correct file name so if anyone else has the problem you can give them the fix.
    The tech isn't in but I will email you the minute I find out! The mother board died on my main computer so I am also dealing with that. I am getting a new computer but I REFUSE to get Vista!

Hi,Thank you very much for posting back and YES PLEASE let me know as soon as you find out what the file name was, so ALL of OUR Members here will know if they should have the same issue like yourself.Very Sorry to hear about your Motherboard! What is wrong with Vista, may I ask? I don't have Windows Vista, as I am still using Windows XP SP2, but was thinking later on perhaps I would get another computer when this 4 + year computer decides to quit. I was thinking about Vista Ultimate but it has to be preinstalled, as I don't want to deal with any upgrade problems with it. Thanks again and have a Great Weekend!SlyFox

10. Default Re: AOL Security Popup

Hi Sly,The tech didn't call me back yet so maybe the owner of the company forgot to tell him. We bought a new computer which they will install on Tuesday so I will ask then. I think it was something like AOL updater. It took him awhile to find it but he did say that the stuff from aol in my registry was from AIM which is part of **bleep**, opps aol. Our computer was over five years old and it was top of the line when we got it. One hard drive crashed but the good thing is that sincewe had to wait about a month for Western Digital to replace it, and we only had a 120 gig in there, we purchased a 160 that they installed and when the replacement came we used it as a slave. It was so easy to back up the computer that way! We are going to keep the hard drives because we want XP. No tech that I know of, I know a few, recommends Vista. I do get some newsletters from geeks who use it but also like XP. (Kim Komando and Marc Lion). I am still using IE 6 because of the same reason. My kids have 7 and like it but most I know prefer 6. We are getting the new processor, 2 gb hd etc. We could go with 4 gig but with XP it's not necessary so why pay for something we don't need. I have been told and since you are a computer person, you know, buy as much memory as you can when using Vista. If you aren't familiar with Kim's newsletters tip of the day, website of the day and weekly newsletters (one is weekly the other daily) go to www.komando.comand check her out. That is his email address, I get one more but don't have the website, once I get another email I will post it here if you are interested. If not, just say so. One that I get that I need the email for posts two newsletters, one for XP and one for Vista. You can get both or opt out of the one you don't want

*** Link Edited out *** Very Sorry, but posting email addresses are forbidden due to forum guidelines and also SPAM BOTS that look for email addresses, as you would be Spammed forever. Once again SORRY for removing that email address.

Message Edited by SlyFox on 11-03-2007 10:17 AM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information