Thread: HELP- Is there a new virus that Zone Alarm Suite could not detect?

bfudled Guest

Default HELP- Is there a new virus that Zone Alarm Suite could not detect?

After Zone Alarm Suite detected a virus I chose to delete it, however, since that time, Windows installer tries to load "accelerator.msi" an earthlink file used for dial up, when I click on certain programs. Those programs are My documents, My computer, and Internet Explorers and other windows related file.

A window pops up that says:

the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'Accelerator.msi' in the box below.
    Use source:
    C:\DOCUME~1\Bestbuy\LOCALS~1\Temp\TA_Installer\Win dows\access\

error 1706.No valid source could be found for product Earthlink Accelerator. The Windows Installer cannot continue.

I updated and ran my Zone Alarm Anti-virus several times but it did not detect any virus. Can you help me correct this problem.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

findley Guest

Default Re: HELP- Is there a new virus that Zone Alarm Suite could not detect?

bfudled,
    One possible solution might be to use System Restore back to a time before you deleted the "virus".
    Just a guess but this may be an issue of deleting a file that should not have been, a false positive.

So here are the steps to
    a possible solution:1- Using System Restore go back to a date before the "virus" was deleted.2- Next, boot into SAFE MODE and in ZASS do a full scan3- If ZASS finds anything, quarantine (for now), rather than delete4- Write down the complete
    file name(s) that ZASS says are a problem5- Then determine if these files are malware or false positives.(legitimate files needed by your system).
    The files names can be googled, looked up at file.net or processlibrary.com to name a few sources of information.6- Once determined malware or false positives; If the files are malware you can then delete them, if false positives, report them to technical support www.zonelabs.com/tsform
    Hope this helps you,Findley

bfudled Guest

Findley,

Thanks for your the help. I have had some issues restoring so I have not had the chance to move forward. Typical of me (pilot error, i'm sure), my system would not restore back to the date I wanted to restore, I get an error message "it could not restore to October 17, 2007" and no changes was made to the system. When I selected a later restore date (still prior to the deletion of the virus) than the one I chose initially, it restored but when my system rebooted the normal way my screen came up blank ( grey color) with just the back light on. I saw it reboot and it loaded Windows XP but it did not bring me to the desktop as it would normally do. I have done several restore as I get the same issue and I read in the Windows forum that I can try to do so but had no positive results. I can still boot on the safe mode, so I know that Windows is still somewhat working. I am currently using my old system to post this. Do you have any advice as to how I can move forward?

Thanks.

Bfudled

System restore is not always reliable. It requires several other services and applications to work and if just one is off or not correct, then system restore can possiblely fail. Even the system restore volume information files can get damaged and the system restore will then fail.

Try the "last known good configuration" option in the safe mode menu listing. That some times does the fix. Then do the reboot.

You might try a system file check or sfc scannnow command to replace any possible lost or damaged files. Also try the check disk and see if there are any bad sectors on the hdd and choose the repair at the same time.

As for the accelerator.msi" issue, if you are not using the dialup, then just delete the earthlink file. You could try just uninstalling the earthlink softs and rebooting and then re-installing it. I am unsure if the earthlink software is even needed for your connection. It maybe, but it may not.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information