Thread: ''ZoneAlarm activity light is constantly showing constent activity even when computer is idle'.'.

ycats Guest

Default ''ZoneAlarm activity light is constantly showing constent activity even when computer is idle'.'.

''ZoneAlarm activity light is constantly showing constent activity even when computer is idle'.'.
    what is going on?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

watcher Guest

Default Re: ''ZoneAlarm activity light is constantly showing constent...

Dear ycats:

There are many Internet-aware applications on every person's computer that attempt to connect to the Internet. Most are benign but some may be malicious. Web browsers have to connect to the Internet but also connect to other sites depending upon how you have it configured. Recently, and with other forum members helping, I resolved Firefox's phoning home problem. It would contact several websites the moment you opened it, even though mine opened to a blank page. ZAPRO's logs told me what IP addresses it was connecting to so I could block them with expert firewall rules until a solution was finally found. By configuring Firefox by typing about:config in the address bar, I was able to terminate those spurious communications. Any program set to automatically update will also attempt to connect to the Internet, at what appears random times, to update. I manually update programs weekly that require it so I have the maximum bandwidth available for my use only and to avoid downloading problems. Lastly, hardening your operating system by disabling unnecessary services, ports, and startup programs, reduces the possibility of someone remotely connecting to your computer.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

Thread Information