Thread: OS Firewall alert

amethyst Guest

Default OS Firewall alert

I installed a Windows XP update this weekend, and since then the OS Firewall has been generating an alert when the computer starts up, although I don't see this as a popup, so I am not given a choice as to what to do with it. It just shows up in my alert log. It says that Windows Explorer is trying to launch C:\Windows\System32\verclsid.exe, that it's a spawn process, rated high. It does not indicate whether this was allowed or blocked, but when I click on 'more info', it looks like things were blocked. Action taken shows up as blank. Verclsid.exe is a legitimate Microsoft program. I would like to be asked whether or not I want this blocked. I suspect it should not be blocked. So how would I get ZA to give me back control over this?

I'm not having any problems with the system thus far. I did notice that my Windows Explorer program settings had all been changed to "Ask" and that is not the way I had it before. The Smart Defense column used to have it as "System" and I think it used to have everything set wide open and I had manually changed the server settings and e-mail to "ask". Now the Smart Defense column has been changed to "auto" and everything is "ask".

Can someone shed some light on this, or is it time to contact tech support?

Thanks!

Amethyst

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:6.5
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

watcher Guest

Default Re: OS Firewall alert

Dear amethyst:

To redo program permissions for verclsid.exe, click Program Control panel, Programs tab, scroll down to Verify Class ID entry, right click it, then click Remove. Note that SmartDefense Advisor has permissions for this and the default permissions do trigger pop-ups when certain programs are activated that invoke verclsid.exe. SmartDefense assigns the following permissions for verclsid.exe:

Trust Level=3 green bars(Super)
    Access-Trusted=red X(Block)
    Access-Server=red X(Block)
    Server-Trusted=red X(Block)
    Server-Server=red X(Block)
    Send Mail=red X(Block)

You can assign these program permissions manually if you want to from the Programs tab but once you manually makes changes, SmartDefense Advisor no longer makes any changes for that entry, even if it has updated program permissions from the database it uses. You can tell program permissions made by SmartDefense Advisor by looking in the SmartDefense column. It will have the value of Auto or System. Ones made by you will have value Custom.

Windows Explorer had the following SmartDefense Advisor program permissions:

Trusted Level=3 green bars(Super)
    Access-Trusted=green checkmark(Allow)
    Access-Internet=red X(Block)
    Server-Trusted=green checkmark(Allow)
    Server-Internet=red X(Block)
    Send Mail-red X(Block)

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

amethyst Guest

Default Re: OS Firewall alert

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks, Watcher. :-)

That recent update must have triggered some change to the way ZA was dealing with Windows Explorer.

Amethyst

Thread Information