Thread: vsmon.exe startup error

hedera Guest

Default vsmon.exe startup error

Yesterday I installed ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite on my system. I have a WinXP Pro SP2 system with 1 GB memory and this install replaced Norton Internet Security 2006 which I uninstalled first. I had no major problems after the install, but I shut my system down every night, and this morning when I booted up, I got this error:

vsmon.exe instruction at 0x77c47740 referenced memory at 0x00000000 couldn't be "read"

I clicked on the "OK" button to cancel the program and was then unable to bring the desktop up. At that point I didn't realize what vsmon.exe was. I rebooted, got the same error, clicked on "cancel" and was able to log on. The desktop came up very very slowly and ZA didn't come up. I got another error on vsmon.exe, "has encountered an error and needs to close" in the usual Microsoft "send error" dialog. Here are the details from that error:

Error Signature:

szAppName: vsmon.exe szAppVer: 7.0.426.0 szModName: MSVCRT.DLL
    szModVer: 7.0.2600.2180 offset: 00037740

c:\DOCUME~1\KARENI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERf5d5.dir00\v smon.exe.mdmp
    c:\DOCUME~1\KARENI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERf5d5.dir00\a ppcompat.txt

After getting this message I got a message from ZoneAlarm that it was starting services but it never came up completely.

I tried to reboot to Safe mode but have so far been unable to do so (that's a Microsoft problem!) - however after 6 or 7 reboots (I lost count), my system came up without the vsmon.exe error and ran correctly. I found the ZoneAlarm Customer Care instructions on cleaning up problems with the TrueVector service and if I ever get into Safe mode I will follow them, but I'd like to know if this is a known problem, and if I can be sure that doing the recommended cleanup will solve it. I'm really nervous about software problems that appear to go away by themselves.

hedera

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

findley Guest

Default Re: vsmon.exe startup error

hedera,
    Just read your reply on the email issue post and the short answer to your question "is this problem related to the installed Norton Security Suite?" is YES.
    As you indicated in the other post you used ADD/REMOVE in Windows and that does not completely remove the Norton Internet Security Suite which has a firewall, anti-virus and conflicts with Zone Alarm.
    Use the link for the Norton Removal tool
    I previously provided to you.
    See this thread by George V "New ZA install with Norton or McAfee installed"http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...;thread.id=154
    Regards,Findley

hedera Guest

Thanks again, Finley - I've run the removal tool - my, it did a lot of stuff!
    Messy product, is Norton - everything looks fine, AND I can now click on URLs in emails, too.

findley Guest

hedera,
    I'm glad to hear all is working again.
    Findley

kenwattenberg Guest

Findley,
    I'm experiencing similar vsmon errors as Hedera - memory exceptions at bootup (only at bootup).
    Clicking OK blue screens.
    My system is brand new (XP SP2)
    and has never had Norton or McAfee on it.
    I'm running the free version of ZA (7.0.462).
    The occurances are random - two or three times in a row and then none for days.
    Due to the randomness of the occurances I can't tell if turning something on or off has an effect.
    I noticed other messages referring vsmon errors
    to a conflict with Logitech.
    I'm using a Logitech keyboard and mouse
    but they are using universal drivers.
    I didn't find any Logitech
    folders on the system.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thank you

hedera Guest

Findley will doubtless reply more authoritatively than I can, Ken, but I should point out that your situation isn't parallel to mine at all, since my errors went away entirely after I ran the Norton Removal Tool and cleaned the cruft out of the corners of my system.
    I've been running ZAISS for a week on trial now with no major problems, and have just upgraded to full support.
    Good luck fixing it, but you have a completely different problem than I did.

findley Guest

<blockquote><hr>KenWattenberg wrote:
    Findley,
    I'm experiencing similar vsmon errors as Hedera - memory exceptions at bootup (only at bootup).
    Clicking OK blue screens.
    My system is brand new (XP SP2)
    and has never had Norton or McAfee on it.
    I'm running the free version of ZA (7.0.462).
    The occurances are random - two or three times in a row and then none for days.
    Due to the randomness of the occurances I can't tell if turning something on or off has an effect.
    I noticed other messages referring vsmon errors
    to a conflict with Logitech.
    I'm using a Logitech keyboard and mouse
    but they are using universal drivers.
    I didn't find any Logitech
    folders on the system.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thank you

<hr></blockquote>

Welcome to the forum!

See
    NaiveMelody's
    thread http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=74677
    &quot;some recent changes in the new version ZA 7 x Free version XP/2000
    -&quot;only&quot;, which we ourselves slowly discovered - There is a ZA Security Suite
    hidden underneath the ZA 7x Free(= only). Which the 'phantom' non-functioning Kaspersky av in there (may
    conflict with your
    anti-virus &quot;(end quote)

Regards,

Findley

kenwattenberg Guest

Findley,
    Replacing ZA 7x Free with 6.5 seems to have eliminated the bootup memory exception problem.
    FYI,
    I had to DL 6.5 from www.oldapps.com.
    The DL from this site produced a truncated file (2.5MB).
    I noticed other messages regarding this DL problem.
    I use IE 7, don't have a DL manager, and had no problem with the other site's DL.
    Someone may want to check the 6.5 file on this site.
    Thanks for the help.
    Happy Holidays.
    Ken Wattenberg

findley Guest

<blockquote><hr>KenWattenberg wrote:
    Findley,
    Replacing ZA 7x Free with 6.5 seems to have eliminated the bootup memory exception problem.
    FYI,
    I had to DL 6.5 from www.oldapps.com.
    The DL from this site produced a truncated file (2.5MB).
    I noticed other messages regarding this DL problem.
    I use IE 7, don't have a DL manager, and had no problem with the other site's DL.
    Someone may want to check the 6.5 file on this site.
    Thanks for the help.
    Happy Holidays.
    Ken Wattenberg

<hr></blockquote>

Ken Wattenberg,

Thanks for the feedback. Happy Holidays to you.

Regards,

Findley

flashnight Guest

I remember I had this problem with vsmon.exe as well, on my old computer.
    One day it just decided to give me the vsmon.exe error and I was unable to continue using zonealarm. I was forced to switch to another firewall. But that was in 2005
    I hope I won't be getting this problem again

Thread Information