Thread: WMP 10 kept asking to connect and I allowed it -- Was that bad?

bloomcounty Guest

Default WMP 10 kept asking to connect and I allowed it -- Was that bad?

I just put a fresh install of XP Home SP2 on a new laptop and it came with WMP 9. Since I had been using WMP 10 on my old laptop, I downloaded WMP 10 from Microsoft and installed it. Then every time I opened WMP 10, a ZA Program Control message showed that WMP wanted to access the loopback adapter and then the internet.

The first time I allowed it, I allowed the loopback adapter (127.0.0.1:1134) and then I allowed it to connect to 64.4.52.189:80. The destination DNS listed in ZA says www.go.microsoft.akadns.net. And that IP shows as being for MS Hotmail: http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=64.4.52.189

The second time it wanted to connect, I blocked it. The entries were 0.0.0.0:80 and 127.0.0.1:1548.

The third time, I allowed the loopback adapter (127.0.0.1:1548) and then I allowed it to connect to 64.4.52.169:80. The destination DNS listed in ZA says activex.windowsmedia.com.akadns.net. And that IP shows as also being for MS Hotmail: http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=64.4.52.169

Then I *removed* it from the Program Control in ZA.

At this point, WMP stopped asking to connect every time I open it. (Which seems good -- but I'm not sure how I got it to stop...)

Anybody know what happened and if any/all of this was safe or not to do?

Thanks!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:6.5
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: WMP 10 kept asking to connect and I allowed it -- Was that bad?

The 127.0.0.1 and the 0.0.0.0 is ok. If not using the radio or downloading music or such from the wmp stores, then disable the internet rights and the server rights.
    Stop removing things. The ideal of a firewall is to control things and the accesses, not ignore them.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 12-27-2007 06:00 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information