Thread: Constant disk activity

Hybrid View

rwagner Guest

Default Constant disk activity

I am seeing constant disk activity on my system.
    Seems to go for a half hour in each hour.
    Activity is so high that everything on my system including the clock stops updating/responding.
    After the disk activity subsides, I list the files that have been recently updated.
    In each case, the last file updated is IAMDB.RDB.
    The only way to stop this activity is to unload ZoneAlarm.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:6.5
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: Constant disk activity

The IAMDB.RDB is always being used. But the file will not cause high disk activity. It has to be something else.
    When this happens, check the taskmanager and look at all of the high cpu files. This is a`better way to see what is happening.

What are the antivirus and the other security applications doing at this time and the usual window components (com, vssvc, msdtc, cisvc, services, etc)?

Did a recent update or upgrade for the antivirus and/or the windows?

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 12-30-2007 10:52 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

rwagner Guest

I did check Task Manager.
    The only high usage task was services.exe.
    Not very helpful.I did recently install McAfee Antivirus Enterprise edition 8.5 but uninstalled when I thought it mightbe the culprit in this case.
    I also saw some files that seem to be related to AOL Quickfinder that werelarge and being updated.
    Also system.log and software.log in the system32/config directory.
    Are there any logs in ZoneAlarm that might provide a clue as to which program was causing the disk activity?

Things to do:

Check the Event Viewer and have a look at all the Errors.

Open the msconfig and remove all startups except one and reboot and wait and see if that one is at fault, then reboot and add one more startup and see if that one is at fault and so one till the problem startup application is finally found. Ok this takes time to find the culprit, but this trial and error method does work.

Make sure you get the McAfee uninstaller or cleanup tool for the Enterprise edition. There could very be some drivers or files left from the unindtall causing some issue.
    Doing a quick registry Finds ,and file Searches, checking the Hidden devices in the Device Manager, checking the DCOM Config in the Component services for traces of the McAfee.

What is the AV you are using now? What is the other security installed?
    Have you done a Disk Check recently? Or a System file Check? Defragged the harddrive disk? Or used a registry/file cleaner to help windows?

Any further questions will be welcome.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

rwagner Guest

OK, I tried turning off most of the startup programs, but it seems that every time I turned ZA back on, the problem would re-occur.
    So I went and uninstalled and did a clean install of ZA.
    All startup programs are now running and I do not have a problem with high disk activity.
    Something within ZA must have gotten corrupted.

I guess so, Thanks for the reply. Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information