Thread: "No firewall turned on" after Nvidia driver install

enderswolf Guest

Default "No firewall turned on" after Nvidia driver install

Hello,

I recently disabled the Intel Integrated Graphics on my Dad's Dell Dimension 3000 and installed a 3D Fusion Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 PCI video card. After I installed the latest Nvidia drivers I rebooted the PC. I'm now getting, for just a faction of a second, a pop up notification that I think is the "Your computer might be at risk. No firewall is turned on. Click this balloon to fix this problem." message. I "think" that's the message that is popping up. It pops up then goes away so fast it's hard to tell. Now I've seen this pop up before, at other times when it was expected, but now I'm a bit confused.

ZoneAlarm (free version) is up to data as of 12/31/07. The PC is running XP SP2 and is up to date on all updates.

Here is what I think might be happening, but this is only a newb guess so bare with me.

My Dad's PC has quite a few programs that start up at XP boot and it seems that Zonealarm is usually the last to startup or at least the last to have its icon pop up in the notification area of the task bar. Is there a chance that since his PC now has another program loading up (Nvidia Control Panel) at start up that it is taking too long for ZoneAlarm to load/start up which fools the PC/XP into thinking there is no firewall loading?

If that is the case, is there a way to fix that or change the order in which ZA starts...possibly starting sooner in the boot up process? At the very least I think I can disable the Nvidia Control Panel app from loading up at start up and that might help.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ender

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: "No firewall turned on" after Nvidia driver install

Actually the ZA firewall component is starting with the windows startup. It starts before the time when the windows firewall would start in the boot time. It is just the ZA GUI and the ZA tray icon that is the last to appear on startups -this is done to save some computer resources. This is never a problem or even the issue. I doubt if the ZA is conflicting with the drivers and this is the result - if it was the display would be non-functioning or a BSOD would occur.

When installing or updating drivers, turn off all of the security application. Uninstall the older driver first and reboot before installing any newer drivers. Especially so for lower kernel drivers such as graphics/display, sound, networking and hard disk drivers. I find it best to install the drivers in the safe mode, where there is almost nothing running to cause conflicts.

Do a ZA databse reset and see if this fixes the problem.
    This way:

Boot your computer into the safe mode.

Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder

Clean the Recycle Bin

Reboot into the normal mode

The Zone Alarm will be cleaned of all previous settings and data and it will appear as when it was first installed. Hopefully this will fix the problem. If not we will try something else.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 12-31-2007 07:39 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information