Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACCESS DENIED

jjimbo Guest

Default ACCESS DENIED

previous advice given on this problem was to adjust access rights to windows installer which i did. problem persists which is- i cant download anything at all, wether it be a simple wallpaper or

a full application . what happens is
    after download the installation is interrupted with a box headed "c:/documents and settings/ my name/local settings/ temp internet files/content ie5"

the message is " windows cannot access the specified path,u may not have appropriate permissions" its driving me crazy. the only way to
    install ANYTHING is to turn programme
    control OFF then install then switch prog control back on. ive
    green ticked everything that mentions microsoft under " access" but not " server". is this the reason?
    please can someone help with advice? much appreciated in advance.

***REGRET NOT WHAT YOU HAVE DONE, BUT WHAT YOU HAVENT***

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

robertcathles Guest

Default Re: ACCESS DENIED

I am getting the same problem.

Windows XP Home SP2 and all updates
    ZoneAlarm ISS 2007 7.0.462.000
    no other security software installed

Sometimes when something is installing though Windows Installer, I get an error from the installer saying that it cannot access the registry or that it does not have administrative privileges to write to the registry or install a new Service. (Specifically I have tried to install 4oD and the BBC iPlayer).

If I turn off Program Control, or the Firewall... if I turn eveything off in Zone Alarm, even try Game Mode... I still get the error from the installer.

The only solution is to shutdown ZA, let the program install, then turn ZA back on.
    I have all alerts turned on so I don't know why it's not asking me.

I have tried changing the Application Control / Program / Interaction thing but it doesn't seem to help if I turn them off.

One thing I haven't tried is finding the installer in the list of programs under Program Control and then giving it full trusted access and interaction with other programs etc.

Otherwise I need help trying to solve this problem.

And if that is not possible, could I suggest a feature for "Installation Mode" or something like that for ZA? Providing it still allows Registry access to all programs.

Thanks very much for your help and support

robertcathles Guest

I have found out two things -

- if I disable Program Control, the CPU doesnt get overload
    - if I disable all logging (esp. for Programs), the CPU doesnt overload

This is only a test, I will tell you if there is any news.
    I reckon it was 4oD making too many connections and ZA trying to log them all :O

robertcathles Guest

I am still having this problem with installers not editing the registry.

Is there no way to stop ZA from locking out the registry while it's running?

<blockquote><hr>robertcathles wrote:
    I am still having this problem with installers not editing the registry.

Is there no way to stop ZA from locking out the registry while it's running?
    <hr></blockquote>
    All files and registry keys are protected by the ZA when it is running. The only possible way is either uninstall the ZA or do the neccessary editing in the Safe Mode.

The ZA only protects it's own keys. If editing the registry for other keys is difficult, then adjust the Permissions in the reg edit to allow changes

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 02-13-2008 07:26 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Tried it with the Program Control slider set at Medium or Low?
    Changed the functions of the program control in the Custom?
    Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

robertcathles Guest

Hehehe I think I've solved it.

Basically I have turned on the OSFirewall/OS Firewall instead of leaving it off, then changed every single option to &quot;Allow&quot; under the OSFirewall.

I've already reinstalled iTunes under these conditions without ZA locking the registry.

The only problem is that ZA asks to &quot;open programs&quot; but that's no problem, I just tell it to allow and it works.

I think ZA must &quot;lock out&quot; the registry if the OSFirewall protection is turned off (which seems strange really).

I will let you know if the problem returns, but I doubt it will, I think this problem is solved now.
    Good luck to anyone else who has the same problem

robertcathles Guest

Oh yeah another problem I had was that Java 6 Update 4 wouldn't let me install the Applet into IE, but it would into Firefox. I was editing the control in Java's Control Panel. It was a reinstall.

When I turned off ZA the install worked fine, ut with ZA on, IE is somehow protected from Java :S
    It still didn't work in Safe Mode either.

I doubt the permissions would work because the program is probably constantly protecting them.

Finding the actual registry keys wouldn't be hard, I could just use SysInternal's Regmon.
    But then I have to jump to it filter it etc. etc.
    It's much easier and safer just shutting down ZA I think.

Installing under Safe Mode should work I guess.

OH YH another problem... I was trying to change options in Autoruns and Windows Defender kept changing them back, even if the MsMpEng service was stopped :O

Check my other message, everything is working fine now (I hope)

Thanks for your help anyway =

<blockquote><hr>robertcathles wrote:
    Hehehe I think I've solved it.

Basically I have turned on the OSFirewall/OS Firewall instead of leaving it off, then changed every single option to "Allow" under the OSFirewall.

I've already reinstalled iTunes under these conditions without ZA locking the registry.

The only problem is that ZA asks to "open programs" but that's no problem, I just tell it to allow and it works.

I think ZA must "lock out" the registry if the OSFirewall protection is turned off (which seems strange really).

I will let you know if the problem returns, but I doubt it will, I think this problem is solved now.
    Good luck to anyone else who has the same problem
    <hr></blockquote>
    Oh Yes of course. After a few weeks pass just change the Startupprograms back or reset all the items back to the higher level of security. Cheers, Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Delete all of the Java items in the ZA Program list, then set the Program Control slider to Medium (learning mode). After the next reboot, then open the Java and the IE. Once the ZA sees the new program and applet, it will now recognize them and let these run properly. Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information