Thread: I am seeing a lot more ZoneAlarm Alerts lately?

johnjoe Guest

Default I am seeing a lot more ZoneAlarm Alerts lately?

I am seeing a lot more Zone Alarm Alerts firewall (all of them)
    lately? I will explaine. I was changed completly internet provider in last few days, and after that I am having for maybe two days about 1000 different alerts and beside that 200 of them are high rated alerts? Problem is I don't see any difficulty in surfing around except maybe when my ZAISS 7.0462 surfing is litlle slower than without them, but still it is not slow? I was formated hard disk so PC is very clean. Register files are often clean, temp files also and etc.
    Yes, now I have really peace of the connection (ADSL, telephone and TV media center and WI FI conection)
    My firewall configuration is:
    Internet Security Zone: HighTrusted Security Zone: High
    Tested with other option it is almost the same.
    In zoneWI FI Network connection (Network - 8XXXXXX - 255.XXXXXXX): InternetDNS server (IP address - 8X.XXXXXXX): TrustedLocal adapter (IP address - 127. XXXXXXX): Trusted
    Now in Firewall Alerts I have different kind of the alerts from TCP (flag:S) high and medium to the UDP just medium and NETBIOS alerts mostly on port 139 and I don't know what is that? Sometimes when I just click with mouse on any plaice in
    any window
    it show me NETBIOS alert, mostly not?

Most of the DNS sources alerts
    for TCP is from my internet provider but I saw others too, most of the UDP
    alerts I get next alert explanations:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite blocked traffic to port 1027 on your machine from port 33023 on a remote computer whose IP address is 24.XXXXXXXX. This communication attempt may have been a port scan, or simply one of the millions of unsolicited commercial or network control messages that are routinely sent out over the Internet. Such unsolicited messages are often called Internet background noise.

For most alerts I see DNS sources and most of them are from my conection provider or with no conection to me at all.

I have laptop which is connected with modem via WI-FI connection, modem and media (TV and connection
    center) are connected with Ethernet cable. My modem is router, but I have option to activate him, what I have not done and in my connection configuration it write that router is NOT activated.

Anywhere I think that my ZAISS 7.0462 version have some bugs with that. I was testing with other configuration and it is same. I don't think that I have virus or spyware. My privacy is on high level also, my browser IE7 also block third party coockies and sometimes I have alert in OS Firewall for IE7 like global windows hook or simething like that?

Now I am thinking to delete ZAISS. Also programm control is on AUTO, smart defense is also on AUTO, automatic internet lock is disabled.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by JohnJoe on 01-14-2008 09:19 AM

Message Edited by JohnJoe on 01-14-2008 09:22 AM

Default Re: I am seeing a lot more ZoneAlarm Alerts lately?

Hi!
    last time you wrote you were dealing with open ports... this time the message is a bit confusing.

First of all you should try to keep your ZASS at default settings. So, Trusted Security Zone should NOT be set to High.
    This way it is like your trusted zone is Internet zone and you will likely have connection problems.

What does it mean that: your router is NOT activated?
    It would be good you try to activate your router to filter the incoming traffic and have your ZA relaxing on unsolicited incoming connection. Check your ISP instruction on how to do so.

The rest looks normal to me for a PC connected directly to the internet.

Are you still on WEP wireless encryption and not WAP?

Cheers,
    Fax

Message Edited by fax on 01-14-2008 07:51 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

johnjoe Guest

Hi!Last time it is really wrong Zone Alarm ISS French version, becouase when I installed English 7.0462 all those blocking problems gone with wind.
    Now and today we are speaking about too totaly different connections and two totaly different providers, so I will not made any similarity with situation before few days and today.
    So situation today is that kind that I have different connection. For example before I used special provider program for WI FI to conect with modem, today I am using Windows and etc. Also now I have media centar in him magnetoscope, TV, possibility to demand video and etc and
    who is also connected with modem via ethernet cable and special connection on modem just for this media center, also I am able to see on that media center all kind of the info about my connection and etc. Also I have possibility to connect PC with media center via WI FI or USB, but until now I didn't try that, in future I will do that. And all that
    I didn't have with previous provider.
    Also I am able to connect PC with that media center via WI FI connection and etc. So now we are speaking about two different things.
    I was keep ZASS at default settings and any other settings. Not too much help. Now I have about 1800 different alerts and I get one alert when I
    type fast letters here on forum. So it must be something wrong? Is it possible that provider send to me proxy connection or something?Alerts just keep going and if I had so many atacks I will not be able to surf and I will need to shut down my connection. One more time, I don't have any problems, blocking script and etc.
    About router, I don't know did I need to activate him. I have a lot of the connection possibility on modem (more than five) also I see a lot of the WI FI connection around me and for one singal is strong like signal from my
    modem. I have also one wirelles transmiter of the TV signal to other room (not in connection with internet connection) and with previous provider I saw that he sometimes disturb my wirelles connection. So wirelles activity around me is intensive, so I don't know is it good idea to activate router. How I understand router activation is good if I want to share connection with other PC or something.

I don't want to share anything with anybody, so I don't know how smart is to activate router? Please give me advice on that.
    Yes, I am now on WAP not sure which kind but code is crypted with more than 50 letters. Until now I don't have complains about WI FI connection. My laptop is allways connected with modem via WI FI and ZA ISS WI FI protection is ON. Still did not have time to test port security for this connection. First I want to deal with those alerts.
    So if you need more info, just ask I will give you. I was tested a lot of the Internet Security software, I am most satisfied with ZA ISS, my laptop is the fastest with ZA ISS, but also with him I have the most alerts.
    Regards

Message Edited by JohnJoe on 01-14-2008 02:01 PM

Hi!

you setup is somehow complex, again I would recommend to keep ZASS with default settings.
    What you mentioned in your previous message was not default. Did you change the settings for the Trusted Zone? Put them to MEDIUM (default) and not (HIGH).

Second it is rather normal to have many inbound unsolicited connection if your ZA is connected directly to the internet.
    I would not worry about them. ZA is doing its job.

Also ensure that you have your DNS and DHCP added to the firewall trusted zone.

See here how to determine DNS and DHCP an how to add them to ZA.

http://zonealarm.donhoover.net/dnsdhcp.html
    http://zonealarm.donhoover.net/adding.html
    http://zonealarm.donhoover.net/trustedzonecontents.html

The router will not only be useful to share you internet connection but will also doing NAT.
    This means it will block unsolicited calls to your system and can be setup not to share cnnection with other system other than yours.

What you describe is perfectly normal. In your previous setup you were not experiencing problems since you had the router in between.

If you want to have less warning by ZA you will need to activate the router.
    But if you have basic knowledge of your system and you don't want to mess up just leave it as it is.
    Adjust ZA not to warn on every attempt and only record the intrusion attempt in the log.

Please note that officially ZA does not support windows xp media editions.
    SO, ZA if installed on windows XP media editions may not work properly.

Hope this help.

Cheers,
    Fax

johnjoe Guest

Thank you fax, it was my
    error not ZA.

I
    need to activate router what I did last night, so all alerts gone. So today I reinstalled all thing and now it seems excellent. Yes I have complex connection and I have complex system on my Sony Vaio Laptop, plus I have phone Sony-Erricson with modem inside what I regulary connect on laptop, plus I have some Sony software (server and etc)
    for home media connection and etc. Really it is complex and how I see now, ZA ISS 7.0462 doing great job.My suggestion for future version of ZA ISS will be cleaning of the cache files with more options, for example on hourly basis not just daily, of course automatic cleaning, and posssibility to reset number of alarms on main ZA ISS page.
    After I reinstall ZA ISS, he made all configuration automatic, so I don't have a single problem or singe alert.
    Thank you for fast replay

Hi JohnJoe,
    glad to hear your setup is complete and running well.
    Indeed ZASS will set automatically DNS/DHCP at install, so you will be ready to go with an optimal protection.

And enabling router has filtered out all the background internet noise you were receiving been directly connected to the internet.

Thank you for your suggestions.
    Given the fact that ZA staff does not monitor this board, the best is to write directly to ZA technical support: www.zonelabs.com/tsform and suggest improvements for future version of ZA.

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Information