Thread: Windows ME Virus Protection

bazer Guest

Default Windows ME Virus Protection

Can anyone help this is my first venture into the cyber space world.
    I have Windows ME and I am happy with the system I only use occasionally, I have installed Norton Anti Virus 2003 and I have undated this untill 2005.I cannot get an upgrade and I do not have any protection, as windows and Norton do not support this system anymore
    Is there a Zonealarm package that I could install on my system
    hanks for any help
    Bazer

Operating System:Windows ME

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Windows ME Virus Protection

Officially, ZoneAlarm does not support anything earlier than XP SP2/ 2000 OS.<hr>

<a target="_blank"></a>13. Why does ZoneAlarm have a policy to end support for operating systems?

This policy is in place for several reasons:<ul>[*]Older operating systems, even when still supported by the creating company, often have technical limitations that make it impossible to properly protect our customers using new and advanced ZoneAlarm technology.[*]When the creating company stops fixing the new holes discovered by hackers in its operating system, customers are much more vulnerable to attack.[*]ZoneAlarm strongly encourages its customers to adhere to a best practices approach to security, where each best practice that s upheld makes the customer much less likely to fall victim to attack; and every best practice ignored makes the customer much more vulnerable.
    Keeping software, including the operating system, up-to-date with the latest security patches is an essential best practice.<hr>Options: if you have no other firewall besides Windows - you can try the last ZA Free firewall that worked with ME; remember this is just a plain basic firewall - and should prove to be better security than Windows default firewall. I don't know if it will install properly on your ME pc, ok.[*]ZA Free - 6.1.744.001 was released to the public on March 27, 2006. For changes in this version, click here. To download this version, click here.<hr>If you will attempt to download this version please use the Norton Tool Remover
    before attempting to install ZA 6.1- click here &gt;
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=154 = it does make a difference.<hr>&gt; http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html<hr>As for your anti-virus issue -
    you will have to
    do a little search on your part. Please try this website - http://www.firewallguide.com/anti-virus.htm
    - look for &quot;Free Anti-Virus Software&quot; or the paid versions
    -
    section for insights. Check each prospect carefully for ME support for their av. You can also 'google search' for ME compatible anti-virus - but be careful to download only reputable software.<hr>For first time users of ZoneAlarm -[*][*]

1- have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154
    . Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product. [ SuperTip: if you have used any free trial/ pre-installed
    security software &gt; please be sure to cancel your account -
    see/ click here &gt; http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...l?tk=nl_coxcol
    ]<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<hr>[*]Tips for installing ZoneAlarm:[*]
    - don't use web accelerators(often used with dial-up)
    nor download managers - temporarily shut-off/ shut down<hr>- better to use Internet Explorer 6/ 7 - temporarily, instead of firefox for ZA install<hr>- in your web browser - if it has security &gt;trusted zone/ site list and pop-up blocker settings - adjust -
    add &quot;download.zonealarm.com&quot; to safe-site/whitelist

and of any pop-blockers software you may have<hr>- with Webroot SpySweeper, SpywareDoctor, CounterSpy, AVG guard, Windows Defender, etc.
    - temporarily shut off the real time protective - shields, guards, watches, proactive protection, Ad-Watch, etc. Or just temporarily shut-down the software.[*]<hr>:8}NaiveMelody NYC 1-22-08 - The Last Resort - The Eagles[/list]

Thread Information