Thread: Blocked access to my own computers??

Hybrid View

zungu Guest

Default Blocked access to my own computers??

Recently installed ZA Free and am getting Security Alerts saying:
    the firewall has bloked Internet access to 192.168.58.114 (NetBIOS Session) from your computer (TCP Flags: S). Repeatedly as it tries hopelessly to make contact with the laptop in the next room. Is a home 192.168... network seen as 'Internet'??

I can find no means to free this blockage except follow the advice that I buy the Pro package. Is this so? Or is it just that I was too uncreative to look for the Help menu in the context menu of the System Tray icon, instead of across the top of the Zone Alarm item launched from the 'Start - All Programs - Zone Alarm' entry?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

watcher Guest

Default Re: Blocked access to my own computers??

Dear Zungu:

How are your home network PCs connected? Do you have a wireless router being used as a gateway?

Please click Firewall panel, Zones tab, and list the entries you find here.

WATCHER

<hr>Zungu said:
    Recently installed ZA Free and am getting Security Alerts saying:
    the firewall has bloked Internet access to 192.168.58.114 (NetBIOS Session) from your computer (TCP Flags: S). Repeatedly as it tries hopelessly to make contact with the laptop in the next room. Is a home 192.168... network seen as 'Internet'??

I can find no means to free this blockage except follow the advice that I buy the Pro package. Is this so? Or is it just that I was too uncreative to look for the Help menu in the context menu of the System Tray icon, instead of across the top of the Zone Alarm item launched from the 'Start - All Programs - Zone Alarm' entry?

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Software Version: 7.0
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm (Free)
    <hr>

Normally the home network should not be seen as Internet. The initial New Network Found by the ZA should have been set as Trusted. But if the IP of the laptop is not entered as Truste, then the ZA Free will see it as Internet.
    The file sharing or ICS in the ZA free is limited, but it can be done.
    First make sure the ZA Trusted Zone Security slider is set to Medium not High. Next enter the IP of the laptop in the Zones of the Firewall as Trusted. The DHCP/gateway IP should also be entered as Trusted.
    Enter both the DHCP/gateway IP and the desktop's IP as Trusted in the laptop (If using the ZA in the laptop). It should work now.

Open the ZA up and click the blue Help in the upper right or press F1, then the Help file will open up. It does have a search engine. But I suspect the Help is geared towards the paid versions.

Cheers, Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 01-26-2008 08:21 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

zungu Guest

Many thanks to both of you for quick and helpful responses.

'Zones' shows my NIC with the IP 'Address/Site' saying 192.168.58.113/255.255.255.0, being my main PC's IP and the networks subnet mask. It is the only item in the 'Internet' Zone. I don't recall being asked for the network address or I would have started it at ...1 (my DHCP range starts at 110, though, having had need for static addresses in the past).

ZA says that I am not allowed to edit an active NIC subnet (to bring it down to 192.168.58.1). 'Stop all Internet activity' doesn't release this restriction.

I see no point - except in desperation - in putting my machines' DHCP-generated IP addresses in the Zones.

DHCP server/Gateway - 192.168.58.1, a Linksys wired/wireless router - and external DNS servers are in the Trusted Zone. This is set to default 'Medium' and 'Internet' to 'High'.

The other 3 machines on the network don't have ZA on them.

watcher Guest

Dear Zungu:

Assuming your router is using DHCP and assigning IP addresses to the LAN PCs, and the Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection IP Properties(depending upon whether you are using a wired or wireless connection to the router) is configured to obtain an IP address automatically, that part is out of the way.

For the zones, you should have a Entry Type=Network there somewhere. If, for some reason it is not being detected, create a subnet entry with 192.168.58.0/255.255.255.0 (network IP/subnet) and place it in the Trusted zone. This is a private IP address range(192.168.58.1-254), not routable on the Internet. You don't need to put the DHCP range as a separate entry. Also, because the Trusted zone has Medium security, it won't block file and printer sharing. You must have file and printer sharing enabled on all PCs, both on the NICs and in the operating system. If you use external DNS servers, that is correct for them to be placed there, Entry Type=IP Address, and placed in the Trusted zone. There should also be a Local Loopback Address entry, IP Address=127.0.0.1, Entry Type=IP Address, and Zone=Trusted.

Lastly, click Program Control panel, Programs tab, find the entry, Generic Host Process for Win32 Services, and change the permissions to the following:

Trust Level=3 green bars(Super)
    Access-Trusted=green checkmark(Allow)
    Access-Internet=green checkmark(Allow)
    Server-Trusted=green checkmark(Allow)
    Server-Internet=red X(Block)
    Send Mail=red X(Block)

Please post your results.

WATCHER

zungu Guest

Drat the lack of attachments on this board! But wait, I have a Flickr a/c somewhere! [much later]Yes, look here to see what my Zones and Programs screens look like.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pofadda...7603801760774/

Seems 'Trust level' is not part of this FreeZA, nor is 'Send mail'. I'm unsure about the 'Subnet' entry which is how I interpreted your advice. Is this right? The regular offending popups seem to have stopped but maybe I ticked the 'don't show me' button earlier. Can this be unticked?

Thread Information