Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blocked access to my own computers??

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Blocked access to my own computers??

WATCHER.
    Adapter subnet entry
    I found
    a thread here - Oldsod and Critterjoe where they were sorting it all out - there, too, are hints of ICS in some obscure settings:
    http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=39997
    I went through similar steps long ago due to the W2K domains hanging around whichprevented file sharing with XP-home, and ICS or no ICS, it's always 'adapter subnet' in the free version.
    ZA free
    I used to use ZA free on a non-ZA suite computers v5 and every v6. But can't do that anymore. Version 7 of free is not something I would want on any computer considering its size, complexity. I mean who'd want a whole suite with everything but the firewall disabled and those disabled things interfering with other AV products or mail. Really, what were they thinking of?
    NetBios
    I've been mixing
    most of
    those windows types. And actually the presence of domains kills file sharing with XP home worse than anything else. But that's neither here nor there. I have to re-study the whole NetBios thing because even if it totally stays home, which it does, (all the ZA and other firewall logs prove it,) it's worth learning about those settings to figure out what the sufficient minimum is

watcher Guest

Dear zasuiteuser:

Thanks for the link. It didn't tell me much except Oldsod's post mentioned another possible solution, using an IP Range entry type of 192.168.0.1-254 to cover both the router IP and DHCP Pool IP addresses. Whether that would be better than a Subnet entry type I suggested is anyone's guess unless it could be actually tried.

I now think that 192.168.58.113 for Zungu's setup is one of his PC's IP addresses, either a static one or from the DHCP Pool IP addresses listed in his router.

At least Zungu has some additional info and hopefully will post back any results.

Thanks again,

WATCHER

zaswing Guest

WATCHER,Zungu's
    x.x.x.113
    most likely IS the computer IP address. It's a free ZA feature.When I used free,
    at different times
    on W2K and XP, that's what ZA free did. Always. Connection problems didn't exist.
    Perhaps adding 192.168.58.1-192.168.58.254 from Oldsod makes sense. It certainly should do no harm.Is it possible that the router doesn't like a non-192.168.1.1 address? Shouldn't matter, but who knows. I'm out of ideas on this one.

watcher Guest

Dear zasuiteuser:

No, the router can be set to a static IP address or use DHCP from the ISP.

Zungu can test which Zone entry, IP Range or Subnet, to see which one works.

WATCHER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information