Thread: A new network alert popped up and my regular network disappeared

rbsage Guest

Default A new network alert popped up and my regular network disappeared

Yesterday, a new network alert popped listing a "local" network that had a different IP address (don't remember it). Not recognizing it, I set to internet zone. DCHP, DNS and loop back had the usual IP addresses. I did not attempt to access anything on my network (printer, internet, etc). This morning, I turned on the computer and could see the New Network with the different address, but not my normal network. I could not ping my router, print to my printer. My other computer that connects wirelessly also saw the new network and could not connect to the network or internet. I could not use browser to administer router. I tried to set up a new network using wizard. Finally, I went to the network properties window and went to properties for TCp/IP. I did NOT change anything. It indicated that IP and DNS should be automatic. While I was viewing this, the "new network" disappeared and my usual network appeared. All connections were back to normal. The computer had been on for about 30 minutes.

What can cause this? How can I check for malware or someone remotely controlling my computer?

Thanks in advance
    Rob

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: A new network alert popped up and my regular network disappeared

<blockquote><hr>rbsage wrote:
    Yesterday, a new network alert popped listing a "local" network that had a different IP address (don't remember it). Not recognizing it, I set to internet zone. DCHP, DNS and loop back had the usual IP addresses. I did not attempt to access anything on my network (printer, internet, etc). This morning, I turned on the computer and could see the New Network with the different address, but not my normal network. I could not ping my router, print to my printer. My other computer that connects wirelessly also saw the new network and could not connect to the network or internet. I could not use browser to administer router. I tried to set up a new network using wizard. Finally, I went to the network properties window and went to properties for TCp/IP. I did NOT change anything. It indicated that IP and DNS should be automatic. While I was viewing this, the "new network" disappeared and my usual network appeared. All connections were back to normal. The computer had been on for about 30 minutes.

What can cause this? How can I check for malware or someone remotely controlling my computer?

Thanks in advance
    Rob

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

If this was malware or some outside control, the DNS and DHCP client services would have been taken over and the values in the TCP/IP properties for the DHCP and the DNS would have been altered.

Are you using a wired network or a wireless network?

Have you disabled remote logins in the router and disabled the UPnP and reply to pings as well? Changed the router's default login password and user account to different ones?

Checked the router traffic logs?

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

rbsage Guest

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The ip address had changed when I got the &quot;new network&quot; notification. the other 2 were not changed.

I have a linksys router. It is used for both wired and wireless connection. I have remote logins disabled.

I have changed the password (when I installed it), but not the login name on the router. The password has a variety of characters and cases, length &gt; 8. The UPnP is enabled. I don't see the setting for ping reply.

I am not sure what to look for in router logs. The incoming log is currently empty and the outgoing log as a couple of ip addresses.

Rob

<blockquote><hr>rbsage wrote:
    Thanks for the prompt reply.

The ip address had changed when I got the "new network" notification. the other 2 were not changed.

I have a linksys router. It is used for both wired and wireless connection. I have remote logins disabled.

I have changed the password (when I installed it), but not the login name on the router. The password has a variety of characters and cases, length > 8. The UPnP is enabled. I don't see the setting for ping reply.

I am not sure what to look for in router logs. The incoming log is currently empty and the outgoing log as a couple of ip addresses.

Rob
    <hr></blockquote>

It may be the "lease" between the router and the computer was renewed and the PC got a new assigned IP. Or there was a new temporary wireless connection made to another lan. You could make the assigned IP static (fixed or locked in) instead of dynamic (changes) in the router and use the MAC of the PC locked in. This way the router will always assign the same IP to the PC. Locking in the MAC and blocking any other MAC in the router is beneficial to further security for your home network - any attempts by strangers to use your wireless will be blocked off because the router will never recognixe the MAC od their computers.

Make sure either the WEP or WPA is enabled in the router.

Open the Firewall of the ZA, Main and open the select the Advanced button. Further customizing of the local connection is in here. Nake sure to select the "This computer is a client of a ICS/NAT gateway running the Zone Alarm...". Also further preferences can be set in the lower Network settings of the Advanced button.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

zaswing Guest

rbsage,
    What router? Mine is wrt54g with Hyprwrt which is close to original, still things might be slightly different

To not respond to ping: Security &gt; Firewall, place a checkmark for Block Anonymous Internet Requests, Filter Multicast, Filter IDENT(Port 113). Filter Internet NAT Redirection can be checked, unless you use WallWatcher for sending the logs to your PC, in which case take the checkmark off. There are other filters you can do on that screen.

To block uPnP: Application &amp; Gaming &gt; UPnP includes UPnP service, Clear port forwards at startup, Send presentation URL - disable all.

Logs: if the outgoing shows something, the log is running so it will at some point show incoming, especially when things get noisy out there.

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 02-16-2008 11:52 PM

rbsage Guest

Thanks for your suggestions. Most were set as you had suggested. Now all are set that way.
    Cheers
    Rob

Thread Information