Thread: Windows Stop Error when using DVD/CD Drive

pjhamilt Guest

Default Windows Stop Error when using DVD/CD Drive

I recently ditched Norton for ZA.
    I was happy with it until I started getting Windows Stop errors.
    After doing some research, there are a lot of people that use ZA and have this problem.
    Happy with software until I have to use one of my Disc drives.
    I have updated windows, updated ZA, tried to update the DVD/CD RW drive by LG (HL-DT-ST DVD GSA-H42L), and made sure that windows firewall is disabled.
    This is a new problem since I installed ZA Internet Security Suite.

What is the fix?
    Can't keep reseting my computer everytime I want to use my DVD drive.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

findley Guest

Default Re: Windows Stop Error when using DVD/CD Drive

<blockquote><hr>pjhamilt wrote:
    I recently ditched Norton for ZA. I was happy with it until I started getting Windows Stop errors. After doing some research, there are a lot of people that use ZA and have this problem. Happy with software until I have to use one of my Disc drives.I have updated windows, updated ZA, tried to update the DVD/CD RW drive by LG (HL-DT-ST DVD GSA-H42L), and made sure that windows firewall is disabled. This is a new problem since I installed ZA Internet Security Suite.What is the fix? Can't keep reseting my computer everytime I want to use my DVD drive.

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Software Version: 7.0
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

Hi pjhamilt,

Can you provide more information? What version of ZAISS are you using? Using any other antispyware programs? any other antivirus programs? What are the stop errors you are getting - can you provide details for volunteer users here who may be able to help you?
    The more detailed error messages and information you can provide will help another user in this forum perhaps be able to help you.

Regards,
    Findley

In addition to Frequent Contributor Findley questions..

Is the ZA program control slider set to medium?
    Does the osfirewall have startups set to use system or ask?
    Have the drivers for the media drive been recently updated?
    The media drive's drivers and related applications are listed in the ZA's program list with three green bars and trusted access?

Have you recently updated the windows or noticed these particular event occuring after a windows update?

Have you used the Norton cleanup removal tool after uninstalling the Nortons?

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 02-20-2008 12:23 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

pjhamilt Guest

What version of ZAISS are you using? 7.0.462.000Using any other antispyware programs? No.
    I un-installed Norton Internet Security and Cleaned.
    Windows FW is turned offany other antivirus programs? No other programsWhat are the stop errors you are getting - can you provide details for volunteer users here who may be able to help you?
    It is a stop error.
    Blue Screen. It indicates a memory location and advises me on what to do if I installed new hardware or software.
    I have to reset.
    I don't have the memory location info, but will get it if that will help the next time it crashes.
    Is the ZA program control slider set to medium?
    It is set to &quot;Auto&quot; (Off/Min/Auto/Max).
    Says it will switch to max in 9 days.
    Does the osfirewall have startups set to use system or ask?
    I'm not sure where this setting is.
    I found OSFirewall and it is enabled, but I don't see &quot;Ask&quot; or System&quot;
    Have the drivers for the media drive been recently updated?
    Tried to update DVD driver and indicated I had the latest driver
    The media drive's drivers and related applications are listed in the ZA's program list with three green bars and trusted access?
    I don't see the hardware listed in the program control list.
    I do see the Lightscribe program that goes with this drive.
    I don't see any hardware listed.

Have you recently updated the windows or noticed these particular event occuring after a windows update?
    It was happening after I installed ZA.
    I tried to update Window.
    It updated .NET update.

Have you used the Norton cleanup removal tool after uninstalling the Nortons?
    I used the clean up tool to completly remove that &quot;virus&quot;

The OSFirewall can be adjusted under the State column. Left click and the setting options are obvious enough. My concern was if something is blocked from starting, there could be an issue.

You may consider testing your hard memory cards. Try

http://www.memtest.org/

Drivers can be strange. The usual solid advice is to update the drivers. However this is not always the case. Sometimes the older driver had no issues, whereas the newer drivers are causing issues. Something for you to look over.

You could do a ZA database resetting and see if the issue disappears.
    This way:

Boot your computer into the Safe Mode

Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder

Clean the Recycle Bin

Reboot into the normal mode

ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

Cheers, Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

pjhamilt Guest

Ok, took a little while to get back to this problem.
    Those pesky jobs get in the way.I have tried all give advice with no help.
    I have narrowed this down to a Nero InCD and Zone Alarm problem.
    When I use InCD (it turns RW CD's and DVD's into removable media) my computer crashes when I put the disc in.
    As the drive starts to read the disc, I finally get BSOD.
    I get the following Message:Multiple_IRP_Complete_RequestsTechnical information0x00000044

(0x82ca11f0,0x00000D63,0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    I am running Nero 6.
    Don't know if anyone else on this forum has seen this, but found other mentions of it on other sites.
    If anyone has a good idea, I am open.
    I really like the Nero product and InCD is handy.

Several ideas.

First report this to Technical Support - free by email.

The report this to the Zone Labs Customer Care BSOD Reporting.

Then try ZA database reset:
    [*]Boot your computer into the Safe Mode[*]Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder[*]Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder[*]Clean the Recycle Bin[*]Reboot into the normal mode[*]ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

If that fails, then try the beta ZAISS.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

grandshot Guest

I have the exact same issue. I have been running Nero InCd (came with Nero6) for a couple of years now with no problems. Yesterday I decide to try ZoneAlarm free firewall and then this morning I had my first Blue Screen Of Death when I inserted an InCD formated DVD-RW in to my Drive. Aftre rebooting it a happened second time.

Initially I thought it was an InCD issue, but after thinking about it, the only changes I made to my system was installing ZoneAlarm free.After some searching I found this post which is confirming my suspicions.

I tried reporting as Oldsod said
    &quot;First report this to Technical Support - free by email&quot; but I don't think they accepted my report because its to do with ZoneAlarm free.

Then I tried reporting the BSOD
    &quot;The report this to the Zone Labs Customer Care BSOD Reporting.&quot; but the link is dead.

I didn't &quot;reset the ZA database&quot;. My install of ZA is brand new so I figured the database should be ok?

Issue Details:
    Dell Inspiron 9300
    Windows XP Home Service pack 3
    Nero6 (6.6.1.4)
    InCD 4.3.23.2

ZoneAlarm version:7.0.473.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000

1st BSOD error messages:
    MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS
    STOP: 0x00000044 (0x86E6CD58, 0x00000D64, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

2nd BSOD error messages:
    MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS
    STOP: 0x00000044 (0x8608D008, 0x00000D64, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

grandshot Guest

Here is an update on what I have tried to fix the issue:

(1) I switched off ZoneAlarm and inserted an InCD formatted DVD-RW: Blue Screen Of Death
    (2) I set ZoneAlarm to Not automatically start on Windows start up and rebooted the computer and then tried an InCD formatted DVD-RW: Blue Screen Of Death again.
    (3) I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and rebooted and tried an InCD formatted DVD-RW and the problem was fixed. No more blue screen of death.

As I use InCD, and wish to use it in the future (despite it being called &quot;very buggy&quot; in other forums) I will either:

(a) Run with Windows firewall- it served me well for the past 2 years. This experience along with past a experience of Norton firewall leads me to believe firewalls (other than the basic Windows Firewall) are a pain in the neck to setup and maintain. The old maxim &quot;if it ain't broke , don't fix it&quot; has a lot of wisdom in it.
    (b) Install a different free firewall- not sure which to go for at this stage
    (c) Try ZoneAlarm 6.5 from OldApps: http://www.oldapps.com/old_version_d..._ZoneAlarm.php

I'll probably run with option(a)

Thanks to pjhamilt for posting this post which sent me in the right direction towards fixing this issue.

Thread Information