Thread: WD Button manager tryint to access internet

ssflyer Guest

Default WD Button manager tryint to access internet

This is a program installed with a Western Digital external hard drive. I get pop-up from ZASS that it is trying to access the internet. I see no reason for this application to be doing that. anyone have any information on this?
    Thanks in advance,ssflyer

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: WD Button manager tryint to access internet

If the popup said the address was 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 then allow.
    This is not internet, although often ther ZA will state it as internet.

Forgot what the popup said? Then check the Firewall and Program logs in the Log Viewer for the previous event.

Just give the WD both trusted access and trusted server and no internet access or internet server. All will be OK this way.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ssflyer Guest

Thanks for the quick reply. I actually see a few messages - one is to the private network dns, 192.168.10.1, but the others are for IP's like 209.170.116.114 and 128.241.124.196, all on port 53. My concern is that these internet addresses resolve to places like us.i1.yimg.com and i211.photobucket.com, even configmtd.mailfrontier.net - almost like it is trying to ping or check IP addresses in my cookies or history.
    I see absolutely no reason why a Western Digital tray app should be doing this. I blocked internet access to it, but am about ready to uninstall it, since it apparently does nothing else for me but tell me the percentage of disk space used on the external drive.
    Thanks and best regards,ssflyer

<blockquote><hr>ssflyer wrote:
    Thanks for the quick reply. I actually see a few messages - one is to the private network dns, 192.168.10.1, but the others are for IP's like 209.170.116.114 and 128.241.124.196, all on port 53. My concern is that these internet addresses resolve to places like us.i1.yimg.com and i211.photobucket.com, even configmtd.mailfrontier.net - almost like it is trying to ping or check IP addresses in my cookies or history.
    I see absolutely no reason why a Western Digital tray app should be doing this. I blocked internet access to it, but am about ready to uninstall it, since it apparently does nothing else for me but tell me the percentage of disk space used on the external drive.
    Thanks and best regards,ssflyer
    <hr></blockquote>

Yup definitely internet address.

209.170.116.114 shows as Akamai Technologies, so it maybe looking for an update.

128.241.124.196 shows as a non existant domain, so this could also be perhaps a file server for updates.

I also had the wd button manager and long uninstalled it. I just use drag and drop for saving folders and files to the external USB drive. Crude but effective.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ssflyer Guest

Thanks Oldsod,
    After looking into a few more of these IP's, I deicided to simply delete it, too.
    Best regards,ssflyer

You are welcome ssflyer.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information