Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why?

computernub Guest

Default Why?

I installed the latest version of ZoneAlarm Free the other day on a clean install basis rather than an update, so I expect to get things popping up more often at the moment.
    However, I got a Security Alert telling me I was Protected and it went on to say 'The firewall has blocked Internet access to Belkin.home (192.168.2.1) (DNS) from your computer.
    Program: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services'
    I thought that the firewalll was to stop my computer being accessed rather than to stop it accessing.
    Moreover, Belkin is the make of modem/router that I use so I suspect that my computer was looking for driver updates or similar.
    Or am I being naive?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Why?

Hi!Latest ZA will place automatically your DNS and DHCP on the trusted zone of the firewall.Did you modify the default settings? Did you chnaged the level assigned to the trusted zone from medium to high?If you have all of these correctly set-up then your ZA settings may be corrupted and may need a reset.To reset your setting do the following:1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after rebootCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

computernub Guest

Thanks, fax,
    for that information.
    I hadn't changed any settings after installation
    but I did the reset as you suggested and so far, so good.
    Your help is much appreciated.

You're welcome!

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

computernub Guest

Well, it seemed better to start with but then the same thing happened again and continues regularly.
    I'm not sure why my Belkin
    router would want to keep calling home - maybe it thinks it's ET - but Zonealarm won't let it.
    And the other annoyance is that most of the time Zonealarm doesn't remember what I tell it.
    I dutifully tick the box asking it to remember then press allow but the next time I boot up it asks for the same permission for the same program again.
    It's driving me nuts.
    Does anyone have a solution please?
    Thanks in anticipation,
    ComputerNuB

Actually the belkin router is not controlled by either the ZA or your PC.

Nor is the belkin phoning home or getting an update (you have to do the firnware updates yourself) or attempting to do something strange.

The previous IP and the port used described in your first post is a normal and probably very needed connection between just your PC and your router. It is a connection between the PC and router with a dns lookup reply from the router to the PC - in english, the router wanted to continue connections with the PC, but the ZA is misconfigured and blocked the communications.

Lets see about your ZA configuration and do this procedure and see if things get better....

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

Cheers, Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

computernub Guest

Thanks for the advice, Oldsod.
    I followed what you suggested and found that, initially, the only entry in the zones section of firewall was for the Realtek ethernet card (that is installed in my machine) as an Adapter Subnet
    - nothing for DNS, DHCP and localhost.
    I ran the ipconfig /all and found the same ip address shown
    for Default Gateway, DHCP Server and DNS Servers - 192.168.2.1There was no mention anywhere that I could see of localhost (127.0.0.1) but I added it to the zones in firewall anyway along with DNS and DCHPShould I also have added Default Gateway there?
    Having done what I've done already, so far so good.
    I looked at the Guru Hoov link that you mentioned and got rather confused. :-)
    I decided that I'll worry about the information on that site if I need to.
    If you think I need to do anything else at this time, please advise.
    Otherwise I'll see how it goes and come back if I have any further problems.
    Thank you again for your kind assistance

Hi ComputerNuB

The ZA free will show the network adapter with the gateway IP.
    In your case, since the DHCP and the DNS are the one and the same IP, I would assume the router to be acting as a DNS server, so the independant DNS server IPs of your provider do not have to be included in the Zones of the ZA.

From what you have told me, the configuration now seems to be correct. The 127.0.0.1 added as Trusted is very much needed and is important.

Just make sure the generic host process (svchost.exe) listed in the ZA Program Control has access for the trusted and internet zones and has the trusted server allowed.

Best regards, Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

computernub Guest

Hi Oldsod
    The Generic Host Process already has the permissions you mention in Program Control.
    The 127.0.0.1 is added in the Zones section os Firewall.
    The Realtek card has two IPs shown as 192.168.2.3/255.255.255.0 and is shown as an Adapter Subnet in the Internet zone.
    If that all looks good to you and it all works ok, I'm a happy chappie. :-)
    Thanks again for all your advice.
    Regards,
    ComputerNuB

computernub Guest

This is beginning to annoy more than a little.
    All was well until a couple of minutes ago when I got the warning that the Belkin contact had been blocked again.
    I looked at the Zones in Firewall and found that the DNS, DHCP and local host IPs that I put in as trusted yesterday have all disappeared again.
    I had already noticed this morning that many of the programs
    for which
    I'd already allowed access had disappeared from the list and it seems that everyday I'm having to go through the same exercise repeatedly.
    Is this a bug with the latest version of ZoneAlarm Free or have I been singled out for special treatment?
    Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information