Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why?

Default Re: Why?

<blockquote><hr>ComputerNuB wrote:
    This is beginning to annoy more than a little.
    All was well until a couple of minutes ago when I got the warning that the Belkin contact had been blocked again.
    I looked at the Zones in Firewall and found that the DNS, DHCP and local host IPs that I put in as trusted yesterday have all disappeared again.
    I had already noticed this morning that many of the programs
    for which
    I'd already allowed access had disappeared from the list and it seems that everyday I'm having to go through the same exercise repeatedly.
    Is this a bug with the latest version of ZoneAlarm Free or have I been singled out for special treatment?
    Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    <hr></blockquote>

Which antivirus are you using? Does the antivirus have any network guard or intrusion protection or worm guard?
    Any site blockers or cookie guards/shields/protection used such as in the antivirus or anyispyware?
    Experienced any hard shut downs or bsod or any windows freezing or lagging?
    Was the original software firewall correctly uninstalled from the PC and followed up with appropiate cleanup tools? What was the previous firewall?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

computernub Guest

Hi Oldsod
    First, let me tell you that I decided to uninstall Zonealarm Free and reinstall it.
    I got a new download and completed the installation a few minutes ago.
    I had a quick look in zones and there's an entry for DHCP Server (192.168.2.1) and Loopback Adapter (127.0.0.1) both in the Trusted Zone.
    There's also the entry, as before, for the Realtek Ethernet card as an Adapter Subnet in the Internet Zone.
    There's no mention of DNS Server - is that critical as it's the same IP as the DHCP Server?
    To answer your questions:I use AVG Free.
    As far as I know it's basic and has no network guard or intrusion protection or worm guard.As far as I know there are no site blockers or cookie guards/shields/protection used such as in the antivirus or anyispyware other than SpyBot having some new thing that tells me if there's a change to the Registry.
    I did have a bar at the top of the screen called Spoofstick but since I upgraded ZoneAlarm that seems to have disappeared and I wonder if it got kicked off by ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker.
    SpyBot also has an 'immunisation' module that is supposed to watch out for spyware and stop it at source.By hard shutdown I assume you mean the system shutting down of its own volition without me asking it to.
    Have had one or two of those in the past but none recently.
    I don't know what a bsod is I'm afraid so I don't know the answer to that one.
    No major problems with windows freezing or lagging although I sometimes get a message to say that an IE window is not responding.
    Also I've had messages to say that a program has had an exceptional error and needs to close.Other than the firewall that comes with the Belkin modem/router that I use, the only firewall I've ever used is ZoneAlarm.
    These problems have only been there since I did the last upgrade that was prompted by an onscreen message.
    Ihope this helps you to help me.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Regards,
    ComputerNuB

Hi ComputerNuB

Set the Realtek Ethernet card as an Adapter Subnet in the Internet Zone to the Trusted. Not harm in having it this way and it is the preferred setup.

I's been a while since I saw the AVG, but does it have a web scanner for the browsers by any chance? The email scanner of the AVG should be used and the MailSafe of the ZA should be disabled. Using two eamil checkers can lead to problems, so disable the ZA mailsafe and just use the AVG email protection.

Spybot S&D should have the TeaTimer off. This can conflict with the ZA, but not always the case.

Spoofstick should be a browser extension for the Firefox and Internet Explorer browsers and seen in the browsers. Didn't know it was in the tray.

The windows freezing and sudden closing and program errors can be be caused by bad hardware (failing hard disk drive or memory) or overheating or bad drivers (maybe these need updating?) or lack of maintenace or damage from malware or bad uninstalls.
    Anyways these window/hardware issues will often cause issues with the ZA such as ruining it's database or causing network lockups, etc. The ruined ZA database includes lost settings and configurations or changed settings as described.

Look here for some basic advice and follow almost everything (skip the part about the visual effects).

If worse comes to worse, I would suggest to download and install the older ZA free 6.5 from here and use the older version instead of their latest version. Although the two are identical in performance and security, the later ZA free v7 does have the complete ZAISS installer hidden in it and it is these extra files (antivirus drivers, scanners, spam filter, privacy, etc) which could also be the root of the problem.

Cheers, Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

computernub Guest

Hi Oldsod
    Thanks for all that advice.
    To clarify, did you mean change the Realtek from Internet to Trusted or have it in both?
    I don't know if AVG Free has a web-scanner or not but I'll try to find out.
    I've now disabled Mail-Safe.
    When you refer to the Spybot TeaTimer do you mean to disable the 'resident protection'?
    Spoofstick used to appear near the top of an IE screen about where Spy Blocker is but it no longer shows.
    It's not in the tray.
    I use AdAware as well as Spybot to be spyware and malware-free.
    And sometimes PestPatrol.
    I'll check out the castlecops site and follow the advice there.
    And if all else fails I'll do as you suggest and revert to an earlier version of ZoneAlarm.
    Thank you again for your time and advice, both of which are greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    ComputerNuB

Hi ComputerNuB

"To clarify, did you mean change the Realtek from Internet to Trusted or have it in both?"

No just one at a time - vhange this to the Trusted. As I suspect this is a you are using desktop with no other users on your home network. Your home network is then relatively safe.

"When you refer to the Spybot TeaTimer do you mean to disable the 'resident protection'?"

No leave the resident on, just try it with the TeaTimer off. Usually the TeaTimer (teatimer.exe) shows an icon in the tray (next to the desktop clock area).

Thank you for expressing appreciation! You are very welcome!

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information