Thread: IE cannot display the webpage

zsmi Guest

Default IE cannot display the webpage

I am a registered user of ZA Pro 7.0.462.000.My OS is WindowsXP SP2 and IE 7.0.5730.13.The problem:Sometimes but not always. when I try to enter a Web page the following message is displayed:
    "IE cannot display the web page, etc.Diagnose Connection Problems."
    When I click on the option of "Diagnose Connection Problems" another message appears, after checking the connection:"Windows did no detect any problems with your Internet connection over HTTP and HTTPS but was unable to make
    a successful connection over FTP. The most likely cause of this problem is that a firewall client on your machine is blocking the necessary FTP ports."As my firewall is the ZA pro, I would apppeciate to know which ports my firewall is blocking and how to unblock them.Thankszsmi

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: IE cannot display the webpage

<blockquote><hr>zsmi wrote:
    I am a registered user of ZA Pro 7.0.462.000.My OS is WindowsXP SP2 and IE 7.0.5730.13.The problem:Sometimes but not always. when I try to enter a Web page the following message is displayed:
    "IE cannot display the web page, etc.Diagnose Connection Problems."
    When I click on the option of "Diagnose Connection Problems" another message appears, after checking the connection:"Windows did no detect any problems with your Internet connection over HTTP and HTTPS but was unable to make
    a successful connection over FTP. The most likely cause of this problem is that a firewall client on your machine is blocking the necessary FTP ports."As my firewall is the ZA pro, I would apppeciate to know which ports my firewall is blocking and how to unblock them.Thankszsmi

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

<hr></blockquote>

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted in the Zones.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

zsmi Guest

Hello,

Thank you for your prompt reply and helpful advice

I did what you have advised and I hope that now everything
    will be
    alright.
    Incidentally, the Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) was not present in the Zone Alarm's Program's list but only in the \windows\system32, and I have given the file
    server rights for the Trusted Zone.

Thanks again

zsmi

Good to hear all this!
    Yes indeed the svchost (windows\system32) does need the trusted server rights.

Best regards, Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information