Thread: Vista Security Center says Zone Alarm and Norton are both running

bdux Guest

Default Vista Security Center says Zone Alarm and Norton are both running

I am running Vista Home Premium ver. 6.0, Build 6000 on an HP Pavilion a6010n.
    The PC came with Norton Security, which I removed when I installed ZoneAlarm.

I noticed today that ZoneAlarm had disappeared from my system tray, and I couldn t find it as an active process.
    I also couldn t find it on the list of programs in the Add/Remove programs.
    I m not sure what happened to ZoneAlarm, but I reinstalled ZoneAlarm from my original ZA download, and everything seems to be working OK.

When I look at the Vista Security Center, it says I have both ZoneAlarm and Norton running.
    Norton was once on the PC, but I uninstalled it when I originally installed ZoneAlarm.
    I do not see anything that looks like Norton on the Task List, and I do not see Norton in my Add/Remove Software list, in the Program Files folder of my C: drive, or anywhere else on my computer except on the Vista Security Center.

The conventional wisdom is that it is a bad idea to run 2 Firewalls at the same time and it is equally bad idea to run 2 Anti-Virus programs at the same time, so I am concerned that I may run into problems if there really are two Security Suites running on my PC. I don t know whether Norton is actually lurking on the PC or if it is just a figment of the Security Center s imagination that it is running.
    Human Security Managers sometimes have an overactive imagination when it comes to perceiving potential threats, so maybe this cyber Security Manager does, too.

So my questions are:

(1) Why does the Security Center think Norton is running?
    (2) Should I be concerned that Vista seems to think I have 2 firewalls and 2 Virus Programs running at the same time?
    (3) How do I get rid of Norton once and for all or at least reassure the Security Center that everything is OK?

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:6.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Vista Security Center says Zone Alarm and Norton are both running

Tips: For first time users of ZoneAlarm - [*][*]

1- have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154
    . Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product. [ SuperTip: if you have used any free trial/ pre-installed
    security software > please be sure to cancel your account -
    see/ click here > http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...l?tk=nl_coxcol
    ]
    <hr>Please use the Norton Removal Tool as described in the link above 154 - even after the regular Add/ Remove or Norton's regular un-install - there are quite a number of &quot;really annoying/ hard to kill/ hard to find files&quot; that will persist until you run the Norton Tool. { My experience is very similar - had two instances of firewall and anti-virus showing up - I later got the 'knowledge and know-how' and ran the Norton tool - twice - you install/ create a desktop file and then run it &gt; then I noticed pc running smoother and faster - cool }<hr>http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73617<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 4-5-08 - Get Off - Foxy

PS - Software Version &gt; is for your ZoneAlarm product number - ex. 7.0, 7.1 - not your OS and if you want to be helpful - the full version listed in your post would be nice ex. 7.1.248, 7.0.470 .[/list]

bdux Guest

Default Re: Vista Security Center says Zone Alarm and Norton are both running

Naive,

I downloaded and ran the Norton removal utility, and the Security Center no longer shows duplicates.

So, thanks, that solved my problem.

Mark

Thread Information