Thread: vsmon.exe (True Vector Security Service) shutdown -- bad C++ function call

lobus Guest

Default vsmon.exe (True Vector Security Service) shutdown -- bad C++ function call

I've been having a recurrent problem with vsmon.exe: it has been making a pure virtual function call to Visual C++ (error = R6025).
    It happens 2 or 3 times per week with no apparent cause. I may or may not be using IE.
    The number of open progams may be one or a dozen.
    It started happening after one of the ZA updates but is not frequent enough for me to remember which update.
    I'm using the latest update with no change in behavior.
    The only way to get vsmon running again is to reboot.
    I'm running an Intel Core 2 Duo at it's rated 2.66GHz with 2GB of 6400 memory so I doubt the FAQ suggestion that the computer isn't responding fast enough.
    Does anyone have programming experience with Visual C++ that might have a clue what the root of this type problem is?
    I haven't found a CheckPoint problem input method for the free version of ZA, let alone any technical suggestions outside of the FAQ which is no help at all.

Operating System:Windows Vista Ultimate
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: vsmon.exe (True Vector Security Service) shutdown -- bad C++ function call

Did you disable the True Vector internet monitor service or have you been disabling any services? If so which ones?
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

lobus Guest

Default Re: vsmon.exe (True Vector Security Service) shutdown -- bad C++ function call

No services were disabled by me.
    True Vector stopped
    executing with the pure virtual function call in C++, effectively disabling ZA (big red X icon in place of the black Z for Zone Alarm).
    TV will not restart unless I reboot the system.
    A VISTA system-generated window pops up telling me a program is trying to display a message.
    Administrator
    rights are
    required to view the message, which is the info I presented in the first posting.

jasonjerome Guest

I am getting the same problem?Is it an issue that Zone Alarm are aware off?

Lobus, the only place I can find an error that closely resembles yours, at its core has a service that has been shutdown. It is possible that ZoneAlarm installed with an error on your machine. Some folks using Vista have installation errors. One of the other Guru's has come up with an inelegant fix. Go into the user control panel and turn off User account control. Once it is off, do a clean install of ZoneAlarm, and then turn UAC back on. Try this.

JasonJerome, your problem is something else. If this happens a lot, could you please start a new thread?

lobus Guest

Thanks Hoov.
    I downloaded your instructions for doing a clean ZA installation (thanks again!).
    Will let you know if it clears up the shutdown problem -- it's random so I may not get results for a few days.

jasonjerome Guest

Please delete my previous threads I have started a new one.Sorry.

Thread Information