Thread: Interoperability issues Nero RW file system and Zone Alarm

techie Guest

Default Interoperability issues Nero RW file system and Zone Alarm

Hello All,

I have been
    a Free Zone Alarm user for about 6 years.
    So I am making my payment.

I recently began having BSOD issues with my wife's computer. This occurred every time I accessed my CDRW drive as a file system. (drag and drop)

The event ID was 1003 and the stop error was 00000044.
    There is nothing much out there on this error other than identifying it as a driver conflict.

After 2 evenings of "sanitizing" the PC from all the spyware and other unwanted stuff the kids and wife picked up on the internet and after unsuccessful attempts at reinstalling Nero, I finally found the answer.

Nero's InCD driver, InCDfs.sys, was conflicting with the KLIF Mini Filter, KLIF.sys, driver that was delivered with a recent
    update
    of Zone Alarm.
    OK, let me rephrase this.

By renaming the KLIF.sys driver such that it cannot run, my drag and drop backup of
    Photos to my DVD InCD
    file system now works.
    I did follow the service chain in the registry to locate the fsMonitor service.
    I tracked this back to Zone alarm, so here I am.
    Although, my software is not current, I believe that this may extend to the current release of Nero and possibly Roxio as well as other versions of Zone Alarm because it seems to be core functionality.

Here is the pertinent technical data:

Dell Dimension 8100 1.5 Ghz 1.25 GB Ram

(Intel 850 Chipset)

Windows XP SP2 fully patched.

Sony DVD+-RW
    DRU-720A with Nero Burning ROM OEM 6.6.0.2 (for Sony)

InCD 4.3.7.3 included with the Nero software bundle from above.

Zone Alarm version 7.0.470.000 (Freeware version)

If there is a patch available or there is a better way to alleviate the issue,
    I would like to know more about it.
    I believe that this should be reported to QA and a bug should be written against Zone Alarm.

If this issue has been previously reported, please excuse me.

Regards,

Techie

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Interoperability issues Nero RW file system and Zone Alarm

<blockquote><hr>Techie wrote:

Hello All,

I have been
    a Free Zone Alarm user for about 6 years.
    So I am making my payment.

I recently began having BSOD issues with my wife's computer. This occurred every time I accessed my CDRW drive as a file system. (drag and drop)

The event ID was 1003 and the stop error was 00000044.
    There is nothing much out there on this error other than identifying it as a driver conflict.

After 2 evenings of "sanitizing" the PC from all the spyware and other unwanted stuff the kids and wife picked up on the internet and after unsuccessful attempts at reinstalling Nero, I finally found the answer.

Nero's InCD driver, InCDfs.sys, was conflicting with the KLIF Mini Filter, KLIF.sys, driver that was delivered with a recent
    update
    of Zone Alarm.
    OK, let me rephrase this.

By renaming the KLIF.sys driver such that it cannot run, my drag and drop backup of
    Photos to my DVD InCD
    file system now works.
    I did follow the service chain in the registry to locate the fsMonitor service.
    I tracked this back to Zone alarm, so here I am.
    Although, my software is not current, I believe that this may extend to the current release of Nero and possibly Roxio as well as other versions of Zone Alarm because it seems to be core functionality.

Here is the pertinent technical data:

Dell Dimension 8100 1.5 Ghz 1.25 GB Ram

(Intel 850 Chipset)

Windows XP SP2 fully patched.

Sony DVD+-RW
    DRU-720A with Nero Burning ROM OEM 6.6.0.2 (for Sony)

InCD 4.3.7.3 included with the Nero software bundle from above.

Zone Alarm version 7.0.470.000 (Freeware version)

If there is a patch available or there is a better way to alleviate the issue,
    I would like to know more about it.
    I believe that this should be reported to QA and a bug should be written against Zone Alarm.

If this issue has been previously reported, please excuse me.

Regards,

Techie

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

<hr></blockquote>
    If the klif.sys is causing problems in the ZA free version, I usually suggest to start in safe mode and delete the kilf.sys file and it's entries in the registry. It is only for the unused antivirus of the dormant ZAISS which is included the ZA free uninstaller.

An alternative is uninstall the ZA free 7 and install the older ZA 6.5 (it had no security suite components).

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

techie Guest

Oldsod,
    Thank you for the information.

I hope that a solution can be found such that
    ZA and
    InCD
    can coexist.
    Regards,
    Techie

techie Guest

Sorry for the delay, I don't have much time to play with my computer problems.
    loveyouforever responded and made suggestions and must have thought I was uninterested in his comments because it was deleted, but I am just being slow.
    loveyouforever suggested that I update/upgrade.
    I had reinstalled and not patched my copy of Nero 6.
    I patched Nero 6 which is no longer supported with the most recent updates.
    This did not help the problem nor did the pre-release verson of zone alarm (7.0.743.000) suggested by loveyouforever.
    So I decided to upgrade.
    I purchased a copy of the bloated pigware Nero 8.
    I am unhappy with the performance, and so many useless applications to clutter the hard drive.
    And to make matters worse,
    InCD was not a part of the base installation.
    It took about an hour to install
    and
    find out that the only usefull information in the box is the key because it took antother hour to pull down the update and reinstall.
    I trimmed the applications to those that I believe useful.

But the good news is that InCD packaged with the version 8 of nero does not conflict with Zone Alarm.
    My findings are
    that
    all Nero 6 versions of InCDfs has issues with the Zone Alarm file system monitor driver/ Kapersky Mini driver.

OK, someone is going to wonder why I use the free version of Zone Alarm and I am willing to puchase Nero 8 off the shelf.
    The answer is simple.
    The ZA free version is all I need in my mult-Tier defense system.

Thank you for your help.
    Techie

Thread Information