Thread: ZoneAlarm Security Alert with no content is prelude to erratic system behaviour

mtuite Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Security Alert with no content is prelude to erratic system behaviour

Dell XPS 720H2C 4 GB RAMWindows XP Pro (SP3 only recently installed)ZoneAlarm Free 7.0.420.000
    My system has been erratic of late. Besides Service Pack 3, Nero Essentials 7.0 has recently been installed. I suspected Neros media file indexing service to be a major culprit, so I deactivated it. I can now shut down XP without having to use the power button (I hate doing that), but some erratic behaviour remains.
    After perhaps 2 hours on the Net, I notice that a tab labelled "ZoneAlarm Security Alert" has appeared on the taskbar. Clicking on it (left or right) has no effect - it appears to be empty. Checking the ZoneAlarm Control Centre showed nothing unusual.
    Next, I find that pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del no longer brings up the Task Manager. When I restart XP, I am told that btdna.exe (a component of BitTorrent)
    is no longer responding. The shutdown process which follows is maybe 5 times longer than usual.
    Anybody know what is happening ? Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Security Alert with no content is prelude to erratic system behaviour

I have gotten similar indications on my XP machine. To fix it I did a clean uninstall and reinstall. (for the button showing up on the taskbar) I am not sure if this is connected to your other problem or not. It may be. Try doing that, and see if it fixes anything. We can proceed from there. uninstall instructions
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

Thread Information