Thread: Getting frequent security alerts

davex Guest

Default Getting frequent security alerts

I am getting frequent ZA security alerts and am wondering how to prevent them and whether I should be concerned.Here's some examples of what they say:
    The firewall has blocked Internet access to your computer (TCP Port 2967) from 221.0.205.182 (TCP Port 6000) [TCP Flags: S].
    The firewall has blocked Internet access to your computer (TCP Port 8080) from
    125.65.165.139 (TCP Port 12200) [TCP Flags: S].
    The firewall has blocked Internet access to your computer (NetBIOS Session) from
    88.104.40.32 (TCP Port 31301) [TCP Flags: S].
    The firewall has blocked Internet access to your computer (TCP Port 135) from
    88-104-40-32.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com (88.104.40.32)
    (TCP Port 35621) [TCP Flags: S].
    The firewall has blocked Internet access to your computer (TCP Port 9788) from
    61.164.148.109 (TCP Port 12200) [TCP Flags: S].

What's the likely cause of these and how do I stop them?
    Thanks.
    Dave.

Operating System:Windows 98-SE (Second Edition)
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Getting frequent security alerts

Any chance you are in the UK and use tiscali internet?
    I checked out a few others and these others are from china net (aisa and china), so no doubt there are hacked servers or evil owners.

Some of the traffic is the usual internet noise or background. It can not be avoided. Getting a router or a nat enabled modem (if you are using dsl) will drop the connections and thus the PC/firewall will never see these attempts. But they still happen as they attempt to connect to the nat modem or the router firewalls regardless if these are not seen anymore by the ZA.

Best advice- ignore it as the ZA is dropping unwanted connection attempts and safe guarding the PC.
    The best advice is get a router with spi/nat (the cheapest router to be found will do the job nicely. And I mean the cheapest price to be found). Or if using a dsl connection, then get a modem with a nat firewall inside of it or get a router capable for a dsl modem.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

davex Guest

Yes, I am in the UK and using Tiscali, on
    ADSL.I'm a bit concerned when you say:"I checked out a few others and these others are from china net (aisa and china), so no doubt there are hacked servers or evil owners."Are you saying that some people are trying to hack into my PC but it's probably OK because ZA's preventing them?
    One thing I want to be clear about: I have some accounts online (not bank accounts) which I need to use for depositing and withdrawing money to and from my bank. Am I safe to be using them now?
    And one thing I picked up from reading similar topics in here: I think something must have happened with my ZA settings, because a lot of previously-listed programs in there have disappeared, so are coming up as "New Program" alerts.And in the Firewall > Zones area, it says:
    Name = PPP AdapterIP Address/Site
    =
    my current IP/255.0.0.0Entry Type = Adapter SubnetZone = Internet (as opposed to Trusted)
    Underneath that is another
    entry with
    the same info, except IP Address/Site line reads: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
    Anyway, thanks a lot for the reply.I don't know much about routers, but will look into them!
    Dave.

"Are you saying that some people are trying to hack into my PC but it's probably OK because ZA's preventing them?

One thing I want to be clear about: I have some accounts online (not bank accounts) which I need to use for depositing and withdrawing money to and from my bank. Am I safe to be using them now?"

OK I will explain this. Your PC with a software firewall is like a house with the doors locked by the firewall aqd the curtains are closed by the firewall.
    Some ***** in some part of the internet world comes to the front door and knocks to get in. The firewall does not reply to the idiots greetings and keeps the door locked and the curtains kept closed. The ***** cannot look into the rooms of the house because the curtains remain closed and the view is closed.
    The ***** leaves and goes away.
    Unfortunately there comes another ***** and another. Some come in groups. Bu the firewall always keeps the door locked and closed and the curtians kept closed. Sometimes the ***** who tried to get in or have a look from days ago comes back and tries again.
    But the firewall is always keeping the door locked and closed and the curtains closed.

Finally you need to go out and see a web site or send a letter. The firewall unlocks and opens the door for you and only you. Nobody else.
    You come back to your own house and knock on the door and give a greeting to be allowed entrance.
    The firewall hears you and only you, opens the curtain and sees it is you, and then unlocks the door and opens it and allows you in.
    Once you got in, the firewall immediately closed the curtain, closed the door and locked the door. And kept out the idiots all at the same time.

Answer to your questions is yes you are safe from the idiots and so is your online fianancial activities. All is okay.

"And one thing I picked up from reading similar topics in here: I think something must have happened with my ZA settings, because a lot of previously-listed programs in there have disappeared, so are coming up as "New Program" alerts.
    And in the Firewall > Zones area, it says:

Name = PPP Adapter
    IP Address/Site = my current IP/255.0.0.0
    Entry Type = Adapter Subnet
    Zone = Internet (as opposed to Trusted)

Underneath that is another entry with the same info, except IP Address/Site line reads: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0"

Should be okay. Any chance you recently updated the ZA?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

davex Guest

Many thanks for the explanation and reassurances One question still remaining though is: how do I stop all these
    alerts?
    And I haven't recently updated ZA. A few days ago I got that stupid PostUpdate, which was easily removed, but it was afterwards that ZA began playing up and the settings seemed to be altered.
    Dave.

Trying to stop the alerts is about the same as stopping the rain or the wind. Can't be done. Unless you personally hunt down every IP in these alerts and rip their servers into little pieces.
    Once these servers are torn up, they will only then stop sending.

The Alerts can be made less noticeable - lower the Alerts in the ZA.
    Once you have a router, these incoming connection attempts will still be there and happening. Just the router will see the incoming first and "drop the connection" before the windows with the ZA. Now the ZA will never see the unwanted incoming connections and give any more alerts.
    But they will still happen - only now seen by the router and the router will not give any alerts.
    Sort of like building a wall around the house to keep out the street noise - the noise is always there on the street, but you just no longer hear it in your own garden.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

davex Guest

Thanks for the info again, Oldsod.Somehow the alerts aren't appearing any more now anyway, which is great!
    Thanks for the explanations and reassurances again :8}
    Dave.

Those door knocker have left - they may return in six months.
    But other door knockers will appear in their absence.
    The firewall is protecting you.
    Once you get a nat router, the intrusions will never be seen anymore, as the router will stop them from coming into your own local area network.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information